What is the necessity of a shim in Piston design?

In summary, a shim is sometimes installed in the groove of a piston ring, specifically in the first groove of the piston, to retain a corrugated oil control ring and provide a scraping effect. This was used before the introduction of the alfin ring, which is now commonly used in heavy vehicle diesel engines. The shim is not a pre-installed part of the piston and is not seen in all engines.
Haroon1
Please explain why sometimes a shim is also installed in the groove of a piston ring, in a piston.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless you are talking about a multi-piece oil control ring, I don't know what you mean.

No its not a piston ring. This is basically a very thin ring shaped strip of metal inserted into the inner top portion of the first groove of the piston during its manufacture. (The compression ring is assembled below it). I can't seem to find any related pictures or links of it. here's a rough drawing.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9940/shim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where have you seen this in use?

Is this for an ICE, a compressor, liquid pump, hydraulic cylinder, etc... ?
What materials are the parts made out of?
Does the shim seal on the top of the compression ring?
Does the shim wear on the OD where it contacts the cylinder?
What kind of pressure and temperature do the parts see in operation?

I've seen a similar arrangement on the oil control ring in an internal combustion engine, but this is to retain a corregated oil control ring and provide a scraping effect.

OP - where have you seen this?

I've never heard of such a thing, and I've seen a lot of pistons. As others have mentioned, it resembles a component of a 3-piece oil control ring, but those aren't a pre-installed part of the piston, and don't protrude farther into the skirt than any other ring.

I have the answer:

This was used prior to the introduction of the alfin ring (cast iron ring) which is now used in certain heavy vehicle diesel engines.

Related to What is the necessity of a shim in Piston design?

1. Why is a shim necessary in piston design?

A shim is necessary in piston design to ensure proper fit and function in the engine. Shims are used to adjust the clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall, allowing for optimal performance and preventing damage to the engine.

2. How does a shim affect the performance of a piston?

A shim affects the performance of a piston by controlling the clearance between the piston and cylinder wall. Too much clearance can lead to decreased power and efficiency, while too little clearance can cause damage to the engine.

3. What materials are commonly used to make shims for pistons?

The most commonly used materials for shims in piston design are steel, aluminum, and copper. These materials are strong, durable, and able to withstand the high temperatures and pressures of an engine.

4. Can a shim be replaced if it becomes worn or damaged?

Yes, shims can be easily replaced if they become worn or damaged. However, it is important to use shims that are specifically designed for the engine and meet the manufacturer's specifications to ensure proper fit and function.

5. Are shims necessary for all types of engines?

While shims are commonly used in most types of internal combustion engines, they may not be necessary for all types of engines. Some engines may use other methods for adjusting piston clearance, such as variable valve timing or hydraulic lifters.