What is the Nature of Singularity in the Function f(x)=exp(-1/z)?

In summary: For Real z > 0, the limit as z ->0 is 0. So, z = 0 is a singularity, but it is not an essential singularity. It is a removable singularity.In summary, the function f(x)=exp(-1/z) where z is a complex number has a singularity at z=0. While it is not an essential singularity, it is a removable singularity as the limit of the function exists finitely from either side of zero.
ion santra
what is the nature of singularity of the function f(x)=exp(-1/z) where z is a complex number?
now i arrive at two different results by progressing in two different ways.
1) if we expand the series f(z)=1-1/z+1/2!(z^2)-... then i can say that z=0 is an essential singularity.
2) now again if i take the limit of the function from either sides of zero, i see it exists finitely, therefore not a singular point at all.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is an essential singularity.

ion santra said:
2) now again if i take the limit of the function from either sides of zero, i see it exists finitely, therefore not a singular point at all.

Can you expand on this? Don't forget that ##z## is a complex number, so just taking the two sided limits in ##\mathbb{R}## is not good enough.

ion santra said:
what is the nature of singularity of the function f(x)=exp(-1/z) where z is a complex number?
now i arrive at two different results by progressing in two different ways.
1) if we expand the series f(z)=1-1/z+1/2!(z^2)-... then i can say that z=0 is an essential singularity.
For Real z < 0, the limit as z ->0 is infinite.

Related to What is the Nature of Singularity in the Function f(x)=exp(-1/z)?

1. What is a singularity?

A singularity is a point in space-time where the laws of physics break down and traditional mathematical models cannot accurately describe what is happening. It is often associated with extremely dense and massive objects such as black holes.

2. How is the nature of singularity related to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, which then expanded and cooled to form the universe we know today. Therefore, understanding the nature of singularity is crucial in understanding the origin and evolution of the universe.

3. Can singularities exist outside of black holes?

Yes, singularities can exist outside of black holes. They can also exist in other contexts, such as the early universe or the center of a galaxy. However, black holes are the most well-known and studied examples of singularities.

4. What is the difference between a regular singularity and an essential singularity?

A regular singularity is a point where a mathematical function becomes infinite but can still be described by a power series. An essential singularity, on the other hand, is a point where a function becomes infinitely complex and cannot be described by a power series. In the context of physics, essential singularities are more relevant as they represent points where the laws of physics break down.

5. Is it possible to observe a singularity?

No, it is not possible to directly observe a singularity. However, scientists can study the effects of singularities on their surroundings, such as the gravitational effects of a black hole, to gain a better understanding of their nature.