What is the missing term in equation (E)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a missing term in the equation (E) and how to find the solutions for z. It suggests using the (z-8) factor and calculating the discriminant to find z1 and z2 as 6-i√12 and 6+i√12. It also mentions that the problem has been posted on another forum for further help.
farewell
Good evening everyone,
here is the statement:

Note the equation (E):

Z³-12z² + = 48z-128.

1.Check that 8 is the solution of (E)
2.a) determine real a, b, c such that for all z C (overall)
Z³ 12z²-48z-128 + = (z-8) (az² + bz + c).
b) Solve the equation in C (E)

For 1 I thought about putting (z-8) factor which gives:
(z-8) z (z²-12z + 48) -128√?
after I have a polynomial of degree 2 and calculating the discriminant I find z1: 6-i√12 and z2: 6 + i√12
and there I do not know how ... can you enlighten me

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, farewell! :D

It seems that equation (E) is missing a term, since if we remove the stray plus sign, we do not find that $z=8$ is a solution.

edit: This problem has also been posted at MMF by a user of the same name, and help is being given there.

Related to What is the missing term in equation (E)?

1. How do you solve a complex equation?

To solve a complex equation, you must first simplify the equation by combining like terms. Then, you can use various algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula to solve for the variable.

2. What are the steps to solving a complex equation?

The steps to solving a complex equation include simplifying the equation, isolating the variable, and then using algebraic techniques to solve for the variable. It is important to always check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What is the quadratic formula and when is it used?

The quadratic formula is used to solve equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants. It is used when the equation cannot be easily factored or when other algebraic techniques are not applicable.

4. Can complex equations have more than one solution?

Yes, complex equations can have multiple solutions. This can happen when a quadratic equation has two distinct roots or when solving an equation with absolute value bars, resulting in two possible solutions.

5. What is the difference between real and complex solutions?

Real solutions are values that make the equation true when plugged in, and they can be represented on the real number line. Complex solutions involve the use of imaginary numbers, which cannot be represented on the real number line but are still valid solutions to the equation.