What is the magnetic flux through the prism's right side?

In summary, the problem is to find the magnetic flux through the surface of a prism with dimensions given as height (y), length (z), base (x), and magnetic field (B). The equation for this is Flux = BAcos(theta). The attempt at a solution involved finding the length of the hypotenuse using the Pythagorean theorem, which was determined to be 1.22m. The product of B and A was then calculated to be 2.7328, and the angle theta was found to be the same as the angle between the base and hypotenuse of the prism. The flux was ultimately calculated to be 2.6432 Wb. However, the answer was not accepted, which may be
Se Hoon Park

Homework Statement

e5L8fBt.jpg

Now, ignore the lengths given in the photo.

Height (y) = .640 meters
Length (z) = 1.18 meters
Base (x) = .320 meters
Magnetic Field (B) = 3.5 Teslas in the +X direction

Homework Equations

The problem is to find the magnetic flux through the surface of the prism that is the hypotenuse (side aedf). So, the equation for this should be Flux = BAcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, working out the problem, I figured out the length of the hypotenuse is 1.22m because of pythagorean theorem. So, B*A is simply

(1.22)(.640)(3.5T)=2.7328

Now, theta is the angle that is between the magnetic field and the orthogonal of the surface itself. This angle should be the same as the angle between the base of the triangle and the hypotenuse. So this ratio is (1.18/1.22). So the flux should be

2.7328 * (1.18/1.22) = 2.6432 Wb

But the answer keeps spitting out as wrong! What did I do wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it requires the correct number of significant figures.
good luck

I got 0.8164Wb.
If that checks I can give you hints as to how I derived it.
Se Hoon Park said:

Homework Statement

e5L8fBt.jpg

Now, ignore the lengths given in the photo.

Height (y) = .640 meters
Length (z) = 1.18 meters
Base (x) = .320 meters
Magnetic Field (B) = 3.5 Teslas in the +X direction

Homework Equations

The problem is to find the magnetic flux through the surface of the prism that is the hypotenuse (side aedf). So, the equation for this should be Flux = BAcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, working out the problem, I figured out the length of the hypotenuse is 1.22m because of pythagorean theorem. So, B*A is simply

(1.22)(.640)(3.5T)=2.7328

Now, theta is the angle that is between the magnetic field and the orthogonal of the surface itself. This angle should be the same as the angle between the base of the triangle and the hypotenuse. So this ratio is (1.18/1.22). So the flux should be

2.7328 * (1.18/1.22) = 2.6432 Wb

But the answer keeps spitting out as wrong! What did I do wrong here?
Your answer is correct. Guaranteed!

Related to What is the magnetic flux through the prism's right side?

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the perpendicular area of the surface that the field passes through. This can be represented by the equation Φ = B*A*cos(θ), where B is the magnetic field, A is the surface area, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the surface.

3. How does a prism affect magnetic flux?

A prism does not affect the magnetic flux passing through it. As long as the magnetic field is passing through the prism's right side, the same amount of flux will pass through regardless of the prism's presence.

4. Why is the magnetic flux through the prism's right side important?

The magnetic flux through a specific surface is important because it can tell us about the strength and direction of the magnetic field passing through that surface. This information can be used to understand various physical phenomena and can also be used in engineering applications.

5. Can the magnetic flux through the prism's right side change?

Yes, the magnetic flux through the prism's right side can change if the magnetic field strength or the orientation of the prism is changed. In addition, if the prism is moved or rotated, the amount of flux passing through it may also change.