What is the Limit of a Sequence with a Common Ratio of 1/2?

In summary: If n is a positive integer, then \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{2^k} is not an infinite series, it has a finite number, n, of terms.
phospho
[itex] S = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + ... + (\frac{1}{2^n}) [/itex]

I noticed that this is a sum of a infinite series with the common ratio being 1/2, so using [itex] \frac{1}{1-1/2} [/itex] I get S = 2, however with this question there is a hint saying multiply S by 2, which I did not use so I'm worrying if I done something wrong. Why is the hint there?

Physics news on Phys.org

phospho said:
[itex] S = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + ... + (\frac{1}{2^n}) [/itex]

I noticed that this is a sum of a infinite series with the common ratio being 1/2, so using [itex] \frac{1}{1-1/2} [/itex] I get S = 2, however with this question there is a hint saying multiply S by 2, which I did not use so I'm worrying if I done something wrong. Why is the hint there?
Assuming that n is some positive integer, then S is not an infinite series.

You can get the answer by looking at S as the difference of two infinite series with the common ratio being 1/2, one starting at 1/2, the other at 1/2n+1.

However, using the hint does a nice job of getting the result.

SammyS said:
Assuming that n is some positive integer, then S is not an infinite series.

You can get the answer by looking at S as the difference of two infinite series with the common ratio being 1/2, one starting at 1/2, the other at 1/2n+1.

However, using the hint does a nice job of getting the result.

I don't get how you spotted that, nor how that works or why it's not a infinite series. The common ratio is a 1/2 and it seems to converge to something (2)?

phospho said:
I don't get how you spotted that, nor how that works or why it's not a infinite series. The common ratio is a 1/2 and it seems to converge to something (2)?

If you wer to take n = 10 then you would have
[tex] \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2^2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2^{10}}, [/tex] which is certainly not an infinite series. In fact, for any finite value of n you have a finite series.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
If you wer to take n = 10 then you would have
[tex] \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2^2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2^{10}}, [/tex] which is certainly not an infinite series. In fact, for any finite value of n you have a finite series.

RGV

OK

I'm still not being able to proceed

phospho said:
OK

I'm still not being able to proceed

If the series WAS infinite, what would be its sum? (It is not 2, which is what you mistakenly stated in your original message.) What is the difference (literally) between the finite series and the infinite series?

RGV

phospho said:
there is a hint saying multiply S by 2

[tex] 2\ S = 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \ ... \ + \frac{1}{2^{n-1}} [/tex]
[tex] 1\ S = \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \ ... \ + \frac{1}{2^{n-1}} + \frac{1}{2^n} [/tex]

What do you get if you subtract 1 S from 2 S?

rcgldr said:
[tex] 1\ S = \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \ ... \ + \frac{1}{2^{n-1}} + \frac{1}{2^n} [/tex]

Or, if we let S be the infinite series, we can write
[tex] S = \frac{1}{2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2^n}
= \frac{1}{2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2^n} + \frac{1}{2^{n+1}} + \cdots -
\left[ \frac{1}{2^{n+1}} + \cdots \right]
= S_{\infty} -\frac{1}{2^n} S_{\infty} .[/tex]

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
If the series WAS infinite, what would be its sum? (It is not 2, which is what you mistakenly stated in your original message.) What is the difference (literally) between the finite series and the infinite series?

RGV

I've looked at your reply for 30 minutes and I don't know :\ I thought it was a infinite series, so I don't know how you are saying it can finite, and I don't know why it is not 2.

rcgldr said:

[tex]\frac{1}{2^n} [/tex]

rcgldr said:

phospho said:

[tex]\frac{1}{2^n} [/tex]
How did you cancel out the 1 that's in 2S ?

By the way:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^k}[/itex] is an infinite series.

If n is a positive integer, then [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{2^k}[/itex] is not an infinite series, it has a finite number, n, of terms.

rcgldr said:

phospho said:
I've looked at your reply for 30 minutes and I don't know :\ I thought it was a infinite series, so I don't know how you are saying it can finite, and I don't know why it is not 2.
Assume it's a finite series then consider what happens when the series become infinite. You missed the first term in 2S, which is the 1.

2S - 1S = 1 + (1/2 - 1/2) + (1/4 - 1/4) + ... + (1/2n-1 - 1/2n-1) - 1/2n = 1 + 0 + 0 + ... + 0 - 1/2n = 1 - 1/2n

So what is the limit as n → ∞ ?

rcgldr said:
Assume it's a finite series then consider what happens when the series become infinite. You missed the first term in 2S, which is the 1.

2S - 1S = 1 + (1/2 - 1/2) + (1/4 - 1/4) + ... + (1/2n-1 - 1/2n-1) - 1/2n = 1 + 0 + 0 + ... + 0 - 1/2n = 1 - 1/2n

So what is the limit as n → ∞ ?

Would it be 1?

Ray Vickson said:

RGV

[itex] S_∞ = \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{1 - \frac{1}{2}} [/itex] which is 1?

So if the sum to infinity is 1, and [itex] S = 1 - \frac{1}{2^n} [/itex] then what is the answer?

This is your final answer. The sum gets ever closer to being 1, but it never will equal 1 because the elements in your sequence get smaller and smaller in value. You can try this out on a calculator if you're like me who always doubts everything :D

Or to test yourself wether you have understood the concept, you can take a random formula for a sequence, say
3/5^n , what does the sum of this sequence get closer to if n -> infinity?

Last edited:

lendav_rott said:
This is your final answer. The sum gets ever closer to being 1, but it never will equal 1 because the elements in your sequence get smaller and smaller in value. You can try this out on a calculator if you're like me who always doubts everything :D

Or to test yourself wether you have understood the concept, you can take a random formula for a sequence, say
3/5^n , what does the sum of this sequence get closer to if n -> infinity?

thanks to everyone who helped

Related to What is the Limit of a Sequence with a Common Ratio of 1/2?

1. What is the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series is the total value obtained by adding up an infinite number of terms. It is denoted by the symbol ∑ and is often referred to as the "limit of the series".

2. How is the sum of an infinite series calculated?

The sum of an infinite series can be calculated using various methods, such as the geometric series formula, telescoping series, or the ratio test. The method used depends on the type of series and its convergence properties.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent infinite series?

A convergent infinite series is one whose sum approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In contrast, a divergent infinite series is one whose sum either approaches infinity or does not have a finite value.

4. Can an infinite series have a sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a sum if it is a convergent series. However, not all infinite series have a sum, as some may diverge to either infinity or do not have a finite value.

5. What is the importance of understanding the sum of an infinite series?

Understanding the sum of an infinite series is crucial in various fields of mathematics and science, such as calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows for the calculation of values that cannot be obtained through simple addition and helps in solving complex problems involving infinite quantities.