What is the Inverse Cosine of a Squared Angle?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the value of an angle theta with a squared cosine term. The individual was initially unsure if they were doing the calculation correctly, but it was clarified that they needed to take the inverse cosine of both sides to isolate theta. It was mentioned that there are multiple values of theta that satisfy the equation, with one being around 37 degrees. The conversation ends with the individual thanking for the help and noting that their math skills may be a bit rusty.
Mechaman
Member warned about posting without the HW template
Not sure if I'm doing this right. I have an angle theta to find but the cosine has been squared. I brought over inverse cosine to multiply to leave theta on its own. I was told the answer should be closer to 37 degrees? Am I doing something wrong here?

IMAG0042.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechaman said:
Not sure if I'm doing this right. I have an angle theta to find but the cosine has been squared. I brought over inverse cosine to multiply to leave theta on its own. I was told the answer should be closer to 37 degrees? Am I doing something wrong here?

View attachment 89616
On the 4th line from the bottom you have ##\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x} = \cos^2(\theta)##
This is equivalent to ##\cos(\theta) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x}}##
If you take the inverse cosine of both sides, you can isolate ##\theta##. You are NOT multiplying by inverse cosine to get this.

There are many values of ##\theta## that satisfy the last equation above. One that I get is around 37.6°. Please show us the calculation you did.

Likes Mechaman
Remember the notation ##cos^{-1}(\theta)## is not the same as ##1/cos(\theta)##.

Likes Mechaman
Mark44 said:
On the 4th line from the bottom you have ##\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x} = \cos^2(\theta)##
This is equivalent to ##\cos(\theta) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x}}##
If you take the inverse cosine of both sides, you can isolate ##\theta##. You are NOT multiplying by inverse cosine to get this.

There are many values of ##\theta## that satisfy the last equation above. One that I get is around 37.6°. Please show us the calculation you did.

Thanks for helping I worked it out as the same 37.56 degrees, my maths is a little rusty at the moment!

Mechaman said:
Thanks for helping I worked it out as the same 37.56 degrees, my maths is a little rusty at the moment!
Keep in mind that +/-. There's another value around 142°.

Related to What is the Inverse Cosine of a Squared Angle?

1. What is the definition of inverse cosine?

The inverse cosine, also known as arccosine, is a mathematical function that gives the angle whose cosine is a given number. It is the inverse function of the cosine function and is denoted as cos-1(x) or arccos(x).

2. How do you find the inverse cosine of a number?

To find the inverse cosine of a number, you can use a scientific calculator or look it up in a trigonometric table. Alternatively, you can use the formula arccos(x) = cos-1(x) = π2 - sin-1(x).

3. What is the range of inverse cosine?

The range of inverse cosine is limited to be between 0 and π, or 0 and 180 degrees. This is because the cosine function has a range of -1 to 1, and the inverse cosine is the opposite of the cosine function.

4. What is the relationship between cosine and inverse cosine?

Cosine and inverse cosine are inverse functions of each other. This means that the output of one function can be used as the input for the other function to get the original input value. In other words, if y = cos(x), then x = cos-1(y).

5. What are some real-life applications of inverse cosine?

Inverse cosine is used in numerous real-life applications, such as in navigation systems, engineering calculations, and physics problems. It is also commonly used in solving triangles in trigonometry and in determining the angles of a triangle based on its sides.