What is the Inductance per Unit Length of a Solenoid?

In summary, we are trying to find the inductance of a solenoid wound with a single layer of copper wire with a radius of 0.0038 m, a length of 3 m, and a diameter of 0.045 m. Using the formula L = (\mu * N^2 * A)/l, we can calculate the number of turns in the solenoid by dividing the length of the solenoid by the diameter of the wire. We do not need to include pi in this calculation.
jiten827

Homework Statement

A solenoid is wound with a single layer of copper wire of radius 0.38 cm. The solenoid is 4.5 cm in diameter and 3 m long. What is the inductance of the solenoid per unit length? Assume that adjacent wires touch each other and that insulation thickness is negligible.

radius of copper wire = 0.0038 m
length of solenoid = 3 m
diameter of solenoid = 0.045 m

Homework Equations

L = ([tex]\mu[/tex] * N^2 * A)/l

where L = inductance
[tex]\mu[/tex] = 4*PI*e-7 (perm. of free space)
N = number of turns
A = cross sectional area
l = length of the solenoid

The Attempt at a Solution

by working backwards, i figured the number of turns = 3/2*[tex]\Pi[/tex]*0.0038, but its not working out any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm wondering why pi is in your formula for calculating the number of turns?

i was thinking that taking the length of the solenoid and dividing that by the circumference of the wire would give me the number of turns

I was assuming that the length of the solenoid is not the length of wire needed to construct the solenoid. It is the length of the "form" the wire would be wound on to construct the solenoid.

Number of turns = length of the solenoid/ diameter of the wire

Ok so number of turns in the solenoid=length of the solenoid/ average diameter of the WIRE used in the solenoid?? do we need to include pi?

ckcc said:
Ok so number of turns in the solenoid=length of the solenoid/ average diameter of the WIRE used in the solenoid?? do we need to include pi?

No. number of turn N = L/d where d is the diameter of the wire.

Related to What is the Inductance per Unit Length of a Solenoid?

What is the definition of inductance?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes a voltage to be induced in the circuit due to a change in current flow.

How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called Henry (H), which is equivalent to 1 volt-second per ampere.

What is the formula for calculating inductance?

The formula for calculating inductance is L = NΦ/I, where L is the inductance in Henry, N is the number of turns in the coil, Φ is the magnetic flux, and I is the current flowing through the coil.

What factors affect the inductance of a solenoid?

The inductance of a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the length and cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and the presence of a magnetic core.

How is the inductance of a solenoid useful in real-world applications?

The concept of inductance is used in various electrical devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also an essential component in electronic circuits, as it allows for the creation of a magnetic field and the storage of energy. In addition, inductance is crucial in the study of electromagnetism and plays a significant role in the development of new technologies.