What is the force acting on a seesaw?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the net torque caused by gravity on a rod that is not equally balanced on a fulcrum. Some suggested methods include modeling the rod as two short rods, finding the center of gravity, and applying the equation T = F*r. The ultimate goal is to calculate the moment of inertia and angular acceleration of the rod.
tummbacoco
Here's a question that I've been trying to solve for a while but keep on running into dead ends, and I can't seem to find any info on the internet to help me. Anyways I was wondering what the integral of torque is? For my specific example I have a rod that is not equally balanced on a fulcrum (as shown on in the picture below)

EKtjN.png

Now gravity would of course pull the rod down but my question is with what force?? I know that Tnet = Iα

But my problem here is finding α, since α=a/r could I substitute that in and say that Tnet = mr2 (a/r) = mar , and then just integrate as if I were finding the moment of inertia ( a∫r dm). I know this involves the density of the rod, but the example shown in the picture isn't all that important, I'm looking for an explanation on how to find the net torque caused by gravity. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the torque produced by gravity on a differential segment of the rod, then integrate from end to end.

Lots of ways to analyse this. One way is to model the rod as two short rods one either side of the pivot. Then model each rod as a mass acting at that rods centre of gravity. Sum the torques to give the net torque. Calculate the moment of inertia and hence the angular acceleration.

tummbacoco said:
I'm looking for an explanation on how to find the net torque caused by gravity.
Finding the net torque should be easy, since gravity can be treated as acting at the rod's center of mass. (You can also, as CWatters suggests, model it as two short rods. Same answer, of course.)

I guess the easiest way to find the torque is to first find the center of gravity, if the density and shape is uniform, than that's just the middle point. Then just apply torque T = F*r, whereby F the gravitational force on the rod (mass times g) and r the distance between the fulcrum and the center of gravity. Then you can compute alfa by T/I...

Related to What is the force acting on a seesaw?

1. What is a seesaw?

A seesaw is a playground equipment consisting of a long plank balanced on a fulcrum in the middle, with seats on either end. It is also known as a teeter-totter or a dandle board.

2. How does a seesaw work?

A seesaw works by utilizing the principle of leverage. When one person sits on one end of the seesaw, their weight creates a downward force, causing that end to lower. This raises the other end of the seesaw, allowing the other person to go down. The seesaw will continue to move back and forth as long as the two people exert equal forces on their respective ends.

3. What are the forces acting on a seesaw?

The forces acting on a seesaw are the weight of the two individuals sitting on either end, the normal force exerted by the fulcrum, and the force of gravity.

4. How does the distance between the fulcrum and the individuals affect the seesaw?

The distance between the fulcrum and the individuals affects the seesaw by changing the lever arm, which is the distance between the applied force and the fulcrum. The longer the lever arm, the less force is required to balance the seesaw. This is why a heavier individual sitting closer to the fulcrum can balance a lighter individual sitting further away.

5. Can the seesaw ever be perfectly balanced?

Yes, the seesaw can be perfectly balanced when the weight of the two individuals on either end is equal and the distance between them and the fulcrum is the same. This creates a state of equilibrium where the seesaw remains level and does not tilt in either direction.