What is the equity of a house after 12 years with a 30-year loan at 4.82%?

Once you have the monthly payment, you can use it to find the outstanding balance on the loan after 12 years, and then use that to find the equity James has in the house.In summary, James bought a house worth $308,000.00 with 85% financing. After 12 years of a 30-year loan at 4.82% interest, he will owe approximately $191,372.14 on the house. The value of the house has increased by 1.5% compounded annually, resulting in an equity of $116,627.86 for James.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

James bought a house worth $308,000.00 and financed 85% of that amount. He has a 30-year loan at 4.82%. How much will he owe on the house after 12 years?

Then find the equity that James has from Item #4 above. His equity is the difference between the new value of the house which has increased by 1.5% compounded annually for the 12 years, and the amount that he still owes after 12 years.

Homework Equations

payment into a sinking fund R=S*i/((1+i)^n -1)

Future Value P=R*(1-(1+i)^-n)/i

Present value P=R*(1-(1+i)^-n)/i

The Attempt at a Solution

308,000.00 * 85/100 = 261,800.00

r = 4.82% / 12 = 0.00402 --> the monthly payment

I think i am suppose to plug the values into one formula first then another.

A=R*((1+i)^n -1)/i
261.800((1+.0482/12)^360-1)/.0482

Not sure if that is even correct...

Anyone know how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that the first thing you need to do is figure out what the monthly payment is. Your formula for A might get you there if you solved it for R, and used A as the initial loan principal.

Related to What is the equity of a house after 12 years with a 30-year loan at 4.82%?

1. What is finance mathematics?

Finance mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the application of mathematical methods to financial problems. It involves using various mathematical techniques to analyze and solve financial problems related to investments, risk management, and financial planning.

2. What are some common topics in finance mathematics?

Some common topics in finance mathematics include time value of money, compound interest, annuities, present and future value, risk and return, and portfolio optimization.

3. How is finance mathematics used in the real world?

Finance mathematics is used in various industries and professions, including banking, investment management, insurance, and financial planning. It helps in making informed decisions related to investments, risk management, and financial planning by providing quantitative analysis and data-driven insights.

4. What skills are required to excel in finance mathematics?

To excel in finance mathematics, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and a good understanding of financial principles and markets. Proficiency in computer software and programming languages is also beneficial.

5. How can I improve my understanding of finance mathematics?

To improve your understanding of finance mathematics, you can take courses or workshops, read books and articles, and practice solving problems. It is also helpful to stay updated with current financial trends and developments and to seek guidance from experienced professionals in the field.