What is the Electric Field of a Cylindrical Capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in finding the electric field between two co-axial cylinders and the formula for the electric field of one cylinder. It also mentions using Gauss's Law as a simpler method and seeking help from others in solving the problem.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For some reason, I am having a lot of difficulty finding the electric field between two co-axial cylinders. In fact, I pretty much know that it should be:

[tex]\frac{Q}{2\pi \epsilon _0 Lr}[/tex]

Where Q and -Q are the charges on the two cylinders, L is the length of the cylinders, and r is the distance from the axis. But I don't know how to come to this formula. It appears to me from this that the electric field of one cylinder would be:

[tex]\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon _0 L r}[/tex]

where, again, r is the distance from the axis, and it wouldn't matter if r were greater than the radius or less than it. Anyways, I've been trying to find the electric field of one cylinder, then I'll add the two to get the electric field between the two. If we place the cylinder so that it's axis is the z axis, and we place a test charge at some point (r, 0, 0), the only field at this point will point in the x direction.

So I get:

[tex]E(r,0,0) = \int \frac{\sigma da}{4\pi \epsilon _0}\frac{1}{((r - x)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{3/2}}(r - x, y, z)[/tex]

But since only the field in the x direction will really matter, we can say:

[tex]E(r,0,0) = \hat{x}\frac{\sigma}{4\pi \epsilon _0}\int \frac{da (r - x)}{((r - x)^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Now, da will not vary with the z position or the azimuthal angle [itex]\phi[/itex], so [itex]da = c\, dz\, d\phi [/itex], for some constant real c. Since the area is [itex]2\pi RL[/itex], where R is the radius of the cylinder, L is its length, then c = R. Therefore, we get:

[tex]E(r,0,0) = \hat{x}\frac{R \sigma}{4\pi \epsilon _0}\int _0 ^{2\pi} \int _{-L/2} ^{L/2} \frac{dz\, d\phi \, (r - R\cos \phi)}{((r - R\cos \phi)^2 + (R\sin \phi)^2 + z^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Am I on the right track? From here, I've tried substiting something in the form z = Atan(phi), and I get somewhere, but it eventually gets very ugly and unsolvable. I've been trying this for hours, help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to use the Gauss's law instead...because is simpler!

Thanks clive, somehow, what you said helped. I actually tried using Gauss's Law before, but wasn't using the right kind of Gaussian surface; somehow, after reading your post, I instantly knew what type of surface to use. Thanks.

Related to What is the Electric Field of a Cylindrical Capacitor?

1) What is a cylindrical capacitor?

A cylindrical capacitor is a device that stores electric charge by using an electric field between two parallel plates, one of which is cylindrical in shape. It is made up of two conductive surfaces separated by a dielectric material.

2) How is the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor calculated?

The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε₀L/ln(b/a), where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, L is the length of the cylinder, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders, respectively.

3) What factors affect the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor?

The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor is affected by the permittivity of the dielectric material, the distance between the plates, and the surface area of the plates. It is also dependent on the shape and size of the cylindrical plates.

4) How does a cylindrical capacitor differ from a parallel plate capacitor?

A cylindrical capacitor differs from a parallel plate capacitor in terms of shape and capacitance. A cylindrical capacitor has a larger surface area for a given volume compared to a parallel plate capacitor, resulting in a higher capacitance. Additionally, the electric field lines in a cylindrical capacitor are curved, while in a parallel plate capacitor they are straight.

5) What are some real-world applications of cylindrical capacitors?

Cylindrical capacitors have many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones. They are also used in power transmission systems, energy storage devices, and medical equipment such as MRI machines. Additionally, cylindrical capacitors are used in particle accelerators and other high-energy physics experiments.