What is the drag coefficient of a square piece of paper in aerodynamics?

In summary, the individual is designing an experiment involving aerodynamics and is seeking information on the drag coefficient of a square piece of flat paper traveling through air against its face. They are wondering if there are any other shapes that can be made out of this type of paper that would have a higher drag coefficient. They also mention considering using thin aluminum foil for the experiment, but later discover that it weighs even less than the paper. They are seeking information on the drag coefficient of thin-sheet squares and mention using a website as a source for their current data. They also mention concerns about potential deformation of the paper during the experiment.
Positronized
Hi,

I am designing an experiment for an individual project and it happens to involve aerodynamic. I wonder if someone can give me some idea of the drag coefficient of a square piece of flat paper (the normal 80grams photocopying paper) traveling through air against its face? (i.e. not traveling along the edge)

I'm guessing roughly 1.7-1.9 according to the data for "flat surface (square)" from a website. Is this supposed to be right? Is there any other shape I can make out of this kind of paper which will give higher drag coefficient?

Thanks!

*EDIT: Oh and also, does anyone know the approximate mass per area of those thin aluminium foil used for food wrapping? Because if it doesn't weigh too much more than the photocopying paper then it'd probably suit the experiment better (the area will be somewhere around 25sq.cm.)

*EDIT2: Never mind about the aluminium foil thing, I managed to work it out by using density data. Turns out that it weighs even less than the paper. Information about thin-sheet square drag coefficient would still be appreciated though ^^

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a good starting point, but do understand that the paper is going to deform and thus change geometry and drag coef.

Did you look here?
http://aerodyn.org/Drag/tables.html#bluff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.. I didn't expect the paper to deform at around 100psi actually.. I'm just planning on measuring freefall time under different pressures.. I guess I'll have to see.. (I wouldn't imagine a large amount of deformation over a 3m freefall actually, I might be wrong though)

I'm just looking for something with really really low mass and high drag coefficient actually. Been playing around with the graphs and found that paper is the best candidate so far for the experiment as it's the most "practical" to measure the data.

And yes, that was the page I got my data from.

Last edited:

Related to What is the drag coefficient of a square piece of paper in aerodynamics?

1. What is the drag coefficient of paper?

The drag coefficient of paper refers to the measure of resistance that paper experiences when moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is a dimensionless quantity that is dependent on the shape and surface properties of the paper.

2. How is the drag coefficient of paper calculated?

The drag coefficient of paper can be calculated using various methods, such as wind tunnel experiments, computational fluid dynamics simulations, and empirical equations. These methods involve measuring the drag force and velocity of the paper and using them to calculate the coefficient.

3. What factors can affect the drag coefficient of paper?

The drag coefficient of paper can be influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the paper, its surface roughness, the fluid properties (such as density and viscosity), and the flow conditions (such as velocity and turbulence).

4. Why is the drag coefficient of paper important?

The drag coefficient of paper is important in various industries, such as packaging, aerodynamics, and marine engineering. It helps in optimizing the design and performance of paper-based products and structures, and also aids in predicting the behavior of paper in different fluid environments.

5. How can the drag coefficient of paper be reduced?

The drag coefficient of paper can be reduced by altering its shape, surface properties, and/or the surrounding flow conditions. This can be achieved through various techniques, such as adding a coating to the paper, using different folding patterns, or changing the orientation of the paper in the flow.