What is the direction of space curvature around a mass in 3D space?

In summary, the concept of curvature in general relativity applies to both space and space-time. The curvature of space-time can be measured through experiments, while the curvature of space can be inferred through measurements such as distance and angle calculations. The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object that characterizes the curvature of a space-time manifold. While it is possible to visualize curvature as an embedding of a surface in a higher dimensional space, it is not necessary for understanding the concept. The curvature of space, however, is difficult to directly measure and has not been confirmed experimentally in the same way as space-time curvature.
Majid
hi

how is space curvature around a mass. i mean what's its direction in real 3D space?

[ i know it is simillar to a rubber sheet with a ball on it, but it is 2 dimentional. i want its real demonstration. just like real world.]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think these will be usefull for you. Just to tell you that we can not directly "see" the "curvature" of space and it has another deeper concept.:
http://www.science.gmu.edu/~hgeller/tsa724/tsld045.htm
http://phyun5.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node94.html
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/math/pdf/0403/0403366.pdf
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2259&forum=1

hope to be useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Majid said:
hi

how is space curvature around a mass. i mean what's its direction in real 3D space?

[ i know it is simillar to a rubber sheet with a ball on it, but it is 2 dimentional. i want its real demonstration. just like real world.]

Consider the surface of the Earth. It's a curved 2d surface. What do you consider the direction of curvature of this 2D surface in "real" 2D space?

I don't quite see how this question makes sense - also, your talk about "real" curvature and the "real" direction and the "real" whatever raises a few red flags for me. I'm always tempted to ask the person who asks me about "real" this and "real" that to define reality, but I have a nagging fear that they will actually attempt to do so, in the process spawning a never-ending philosophical debate that will go on and on without any resolution whatsoever for a very very long time. :-(

tnx a lot somy.

pervect i used "real" to explain my question and to distinguish 2d demonstrations that we see in books and web from 3d space.
it is difficult for me to demonstrate 3d curvature around a mass like Earth or sun.

The notion of curvature in general relativity applies usually to spacetime (a four dimensional 'space'). A direction of curvature is not necessary because it is assumed that spacetime is not included in an embedding space with more than four dimensions. The curvature is therefore an intrinsic curvature within the four dimensional spacetime and it describes how geodesics (shortest distances) in spacetime 'move' with respect to each other.

On the other hand, there are some cases in general relativity in which the curvature of space (three dimensional space instead of four dimensional spacetime) is considered. In such a case, one can speak either about an intrinsic and an extrinsic curvature of space (since space is embedded in the four dimensional spacetime). The first one describes how the geodesics in space move with respecto to each other and the second one describes the rate of change of the tangent vector to the geodesics in space with respect to the normal vector to the spatial 'hypersurface'.

When Riemann considered the curvature of higher dimensional spaces, he found that you have to consider the directions in pairs. There is a number that tells how much (roughly) the x-axis is bent in the y-direction and another that says how much it is bent in the z-direction and so on. In 3-dimensional space there will be nine such numbers and in four dimensional spacetime there will be sixteen. Riemann found they form the components of a special kind of mathematical thing called a tensor, what is now known as the Riemann-Christoffel tensor. It is this mathematical object which characterizes the curvature of a Riemannian manifold.

Majid said:
tnx a lot somy.

pervect i used "real" to explain my question and to distinguish 2d demonstrations that we see in books and web from 3d space.
it is difficult for me to demonstrate 3d curvature around a mass like Earth or sun.

Suppose you were living on a 2D surface, and wanted to see if it was curved, like the Earth, or flat, like a plane.

How might you do this? Well, there are a couple of ways that come to mind. The first is some very accruate distance measurements. When you draw a circle on a plane, or a very small circle on a sphere, you will find that the circumference is pi times the diameter.

But if you draw a very large circle on the Earth, you'll find that the circumference is less than pi times the diameter.

Another way of distinguisihing the plane from the sphere via measurements made on the surface is to look at the sum of the angles of a triangle.

A very large triangle on the surface of the Earth will have the sum of its angles greater than 180 degrees. Consider for instance a triangle with a 90 degree right angle at the north pole. Both sides of the triangle go down to the equaotor along a north- south path. The equator forms the third side of the triangle. All three angles of this triangle are 90 degrees so the sum of the angles of the triiangle is 270 degrees.

This method of defnining and describing curvature is known as "intrinsic" curvature, because it's done entirely by experiments done within the curved space.

You might find a websearch for "intrinsic curvatrure" vs "extrensic curvature" helpful for more background information.

It is possible to visualize intrinsic curvature as a surface imbeded as a higher dimensional space, like the Earth's 2d surface being the surface of a 3d object. However, since we cannot directly measure such dimensons, they should be regarded as "visual aids". It is possible to visualzie curvature as an embedding of a surface (manifold) in another, higher dimension, (another higher dimensonal manifold), but it is not necessary.

According to general relativity, space (as well as space-time) would be curved, so if we had a massive enough object we could in fact do similar experiments in 3 dimensons to the ones I've outlined in 2 dimensions. Unfortunately, the amount of spatial curvature is small, and I don't think that there is any direct experimental confirmation of the GR prediction of this spatial curvature.

The curvature of space-time, though (as opposed to the curvature of space) is easily measured. There's a mathematical object called the Riemann tensor that describes the curvature of space-time, and some (though not all) of its components can be measured by measuring the tidal gradient of gravity at a point. The other components can be measured as well, though not as simply (a couple of different methods exist to do this).

There exists an actual device which can directly measure the tidal gravity at a point - it's called a Forward mass detector. So you can think of it as a curvature meter, but what it measures not the 3 dimensonal spatial curvature, but the curvature of the 4 dimensional space-time.

Majid said:
hi

In general the question has no meaning. However it can take on a meaning in special circumstances. Consider, as an example, the gravitational field of the Earth; space curvature (not spacetime curvature) around the Earth is radial in this case, i.e. along a line which passes through the center of the Earth. Spacetime curvature, on the otherhand, does not have a direction in general. The rubber sheet analogy is best interpreted as an embedding diagram. Such a diagram illustrates, not spacetime curvature, but spatial curvature.

The term "spatial curvature" refers to altered spatial distance relationships. Thus in the case of the Earth the mass of the Earth slightly alters radial distances, increasing them.

For details please see -- http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/chapter2.pdf page 2-25 I believe.

Pete

pervect said:
There exists an actual device which can directly measure the tidal gravity at a point - it's called a Forward mass detector. So you can think of it as a curvature meter, but what it measures not the 3 dimensonal spatial curvature, but the curvature of the 4 dimensional space-time.
I've never heard of a device called a Forward mass detector. Also, spacetime curvature can't literally be measured at a single point. One must be in an [itex]\epslon[/itex] neighborhood of the point in question since detection of curvature requires detection of geodesic deviation which requires more than a point ... A bit of a messy nit pick though, sorry.

The device I know of which measures spacetime curvature is called a gradiometer. It measures tidal forces, which is just another name for spacetime curvature.

E.g. See page 42 of Gravitation and Inertia, Ciufolini, Wheeler. This part is actually online at
http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/sample_chapters/ciufolini/chapter2.pdf
In section 2.5 we shall see that in general relativity, and other metric
theories of gravity, there is an important equation, the geodesic deviation
equation, which connects the physical effects of gravity gradients just
described with the mathematical structure of a manifold, that is, which
connects the physical quantities measurable, for example with a gradiometer,
with the mathematical object representing the curvature: the Riemann
curvature tensor.

Pete

ps - The 3rd chapter is also online at
http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/sample_chapters/ciufolini/chapter3.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you all.

Related to What is the direction of space curvature around a mass in 3D space?

1. What is the direction of space curvature?

The direction of space curvature refers to the way in which space bends or curves in a certain direction. This is often described in terms of the 3 dimensions of space - length, width, and height.

2. How is the direction of space curvature determined?

The direction of space curvature is determined by the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. Objects with mass and energy create gravitational fields, which can cause space to bend and curve in a certain direction.

3. Is the direction of space curvature constant?

No, the direction of space curvature is not constant. It can vary depending on the location and distribution of matter and energy in the universe. The curvature can also change over time as the universe expands and evolves.

4. What is the significance of understanding the direction of space curvature?

Understanding the direction of space curvature is important for understanding the structure and behavior of the universe. It can help us understand how celestial bodies move and interact, and how the universe as a whole is expanding.

5. Can the direction of space curvature be observed?

Yes, the direction of space curvature can be observed through various astronomical and cosmological observations. Scientists use tools such as gravitational lensing and redshift measurements to study the curvature of space and its effects on the objects within it.