What is the correct way to convert to polar form?

In summary, the conversation discussed various calculations involving complex numbers, including finding the magnitude of a complex number, converting from rectangular to polar form, and determining the range of the arcsine function. The correct solutions were provided for each calculation and any errors were pointed out and explained.
nacho-man
I started of with attempting to convert the numerator first

$ | 1 + i | = \sqrt{1^2+i^2}$
$= \sqrt{1-1} = 0$ ? this is wrong obviously, i don't see why its $\sqrt{2}$

for the second part

$ |\sqrt{3} - i|= \sqrt{3+1} = 2$

$ x = r \cos\theta$ $ y = r\sin\theta$

$x = 2\cos\theta$ $ y=2\sin\theta$

then $\theta = \frac{\pi}{3} and \frac{\pi}{6}$

$ = 2(\cos\frac{\pi}{3} + \sin\frac{\pi}{6} = 2cis(\frac{\pi}{3})$ I don't see why this is wrong either

Attachments

• converting to polar.jpg
    converting to polar.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 67
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of a complex number $a+bi$ is given by $|a+bi|= \sqrt{(a+bi)(a-bi)}$. That is, you multiply a number by its complex conjugate, and then you take the square root.

\(\displaystyle 1+i = \sqrt{2} \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = \sqrt{2} \, \text{cis} \left( \frac{\pi}{4} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{3}-i = 2 \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}- i \frac{1}{2} \right) = 2 \text{cis}\left( \frac{-\pi}{6}\right)\)

$\cos\theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$
Therefore
$ \theta = \frac{\pi}{4}$
and $\sin\theta=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}$
therefore
$\theta = \frac{\pi}{4} + \pi = \frac{5\pi}{4}$
What have i done wrong for the $\sin\theta$ part?

The range of [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \arcsin{(x)} \end{align*}[/tex] is [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left[ -\frac{\pi}{2} , \frac{\pi}{2} \right] \end{align*}[/tex].

Related to What is the correct way to convert to polar form?

1. What is polar form?

Polar form, also known as polar coordinates, is a way of representing a point in a two-dimensional coordinate system using a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from the positive x-axis.

2. How do you convert from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert from rectangular form (x, y) to polar form (r, θ), you can use the following equations:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)

3. What are the advantages of using polar form over rectangular form?

Polar form can be useful in situations where the distance and angle from the origin are more relevant than the x and y coordinates. It can also make certain calculations, such as finding the distance between two points, easier.

4. Can negative values be used in polar form?

Yes, negative values can be used in polar form. The distance (r) can be negative, indicating a point in the opposite direction from the origin, and the angle (θ) can be negative, indicating a point in the opposite direction from the positive x-axis.

5. How do you convert from polar form to rectangular form?

To convert from polar form (r, θ) to rectangular form (x, y), you can use the following equations:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)