What is the correct method for solving the infinite square well energy problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in the solution for the infinite square well for energy between the book and the individual's attempt. It is mentioned that there are multiple solutions, including cos(kx) and sin(kx), and that the individual's solution may be incorrect due to a mistake in the value of k. It is also noted that placing the walls of the box at specific points can make the solutions easier to find.
rsaad
Hi

I have attached my attempt of solving the infinite square well for Energy. The value I get is different from that of the book, also in the attachment,
Kindly explain if my answer is correct given the fact that I proceeded step by step and used no tricks.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20121116_194438.jpg
    20121116_194438.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 448
  • question.png
    question.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed the solution is of the form ψ = cos kx. There are also solutions of the form ψ = sin kx.

yes, but as you see in the excerpt of the book, they have proved that the the given E holds for cos(kx) too

I think my solution wrong because I have taken k*a/2 = (n+ 0.5)*pi
For the given situation, for x=a/2 for cos((n+ 0.5)*pi*x)=0 is only possible if n=0, but we are taking n>0.

If we were taking n>=0 then my solution was right.

The sine and cosine solutions should alternate with n. The ground state is a cosine, the next higher state is a sine, the next one is a cosine, etc.

If you put the walls of the box at x = 0 and x = a, it's easier because all the solutions are sines.

Last edited:
I do not understand what you said jtbell

Related to What is the correct method for solving the infinite square well energy problem?

What is an infinite square well energy?

An infinite square well energy is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the potential energy of a particle confined to an infinitely deep and infinitely wide potential well.

How is the energy of a particle in an infinite square well calculated?

The energy of a particle in an infinite square well is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the size and depth of the potential well as well as the mass of the particle.

What is the significance of the energy levels in an infinite square well?

The energy levels in an infinite square well represent the allowed energy states that a particle can have while confined within the potential well. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

Can the energy of a particle in an infinite square well be negative?

No, the energy of a particle in an infinite square well cannot be negative. This is because the particle is confined within the potential well, and cannot escape to have a negative energy.

How does the energy of a particle in an infinite square well change with the size of the well?

The energy of a particle in an infinite square well is inversely proportional to the size of the well. As the size of the well increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, meaning the particle has a greater range of allowed energies.