What Is the Convection Coefficient Between Aluminum 4032 and Steel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for the convection coefficient between aluminum 4032 and steel in w/m^2*k for a thermal simulation. The speaker points out that convection may not be involved since the two metals are in direct contact and suggests considering conduction instead. The temperatures can be determined with the known thermal conductivities of the metals and assumptions about the geometry.
OdinAF
I'm trying to figure out the convection coefficent between aluminum 4032 and steel in w/m^2*k

400w-500w? No

Reason being I'm running a simulation of a thermal loaded aluminium detail, that is in contact with a steel plae.
The upper part is heated by an external source.
I need the temperatire of the aluminum piece near the contact spot, but I need the coefficient of thermal convection
around 800w/m^2.k?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you think convection is involved in any way? You are talking about two metals touching each other, so as far as I can discern, there is no air movement that is transferring heat, which is the definition of convection. You need to be thinking about conduction, and for that, you have two metals, both with a known thermal conductivity, and you know one side is heated while the other side is presumably insulated, so you can determine the temperatures fairly easily just with pen and paper assuming you can make the proper assumptions about your geometry.

Related to What Is the Convection Coefficient Between Aluminum 4032 and Steel?

1. What is convection coefficient?

The convection coefficient is a measure of how well a fluid can transfer heat by convection. It is defined as the amount of heat that is transferred from a surface to a fluid per unit area per unit temperature difference.

2. How is convection coefficient calculated?

The convection coefficient can be calculated using the following formula: h = k × (Nu / L), where h is the convection coefficient, k is the thermal conductivity of the fluid, Nu is the Nusselt number, and L is the characteristic length.

3. What factors affect convection coefficient?

There are several factors that can affect the convection coefficient, including the properties of the fluid (such as density, viscosity, and thermal conductivity), the velocity of the fluid, and the geometry and surface conditions of the object being heated or cooled.

4. Why is convection coefficient important in heat transfer?

The convection coefficient plays a crucial role in heat transfer because it determines the rate at which heat can be transferred between a surface and a fluid. A higher convection coefficient means that heat can be transferred more efficiently, while a lower convection coefficient means that heat transfer will be slower.

5. How can convection coefficient be improved?

The convection coefficient can be improved by increasing the velocity of the fluid, using fluids with higher thermal conductivity, and optimizing the surface conditions of the object being heated or cooled to promote better fluid flow. Additionally, using materials with higher thermal conductivity for the object itself can also improve the convection coefficient.