What is the Causal Sets Approach to Quantum Gravity?

In summary, In this conversation, Richard is discussing Fay Dowker's paper on causal sets and its exploration of foundational and conceptual issues within causal set theory. He shares his thoughts on the representation of spacetime as a Poisson distribution, the concept of background independence, and the possible implications of a cosmic background structure. Carey R. Carlson also adds to the conversation, discussing his own work on constructing physics from causal sets.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This new paper by Fay Dowker is a wonderful introduction to the whole field of causal sets, how they may said to approximate GR, how to make them covariant, a new approach to quantizing, the current state of play, and challenges remaining from a frequent contributer to the field.

All in carefully reasoned English, hardly an equation is sight. Refreshing!

The abstract in its entirerty:

The causal set approach to quantum gravity embodies the concepts of causality and discreteness. This article explores some foundational and conceptual issues within causal set theory

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sA

I' ve gotten halfway through the paper. I am not ready to buy the idea that spacetime can be represented as a Poisson distribution in a volume. Seems to me volume and space are roughly equivalent, so spacetime distributed over space should just yield time...which is not, I think, the intended consequence.

I did like the idea of sprinkling to obtain a Poisson distribution, and Dowker's assertion that the Poisson distribution is the best representation of spacetime based on there being no preferred direction in a random (Poisson) distribution, as opposed to some kind of lattice structure, gave me something to think about.

I am wondering if this has to do with background independence, an idea I am still trying to connect. Can I say that "background independence" and "no preferred direction" are equivalent?

Then I wonder if the thirty degree anomalie in CMB is thought of as evidence of a cosmic background structure? And if there is such a universal background structure, what does this mean for background independence of theories at the microscopic scale?

I'll read the rest of the paper and be back here, good willing, later.

Thanks,

Richard

rtharbaugh1 said:
I am wondering if this has to do with background independence, an idea I am still trying to connect. Can I say that "background independence" and "no preferred direction" are equivalent?

No, "no preferred direction" is called isotropy, Greek for "equal turning"; it's just one possible property of spacetime. Background independence means spacetime engages in give and take with matter. The matter acts on spacetime, and spacetime, in reacting to that, acts back on the matter.

By diagramming the finite causal sets (using arrow diagrams,) and by starting with the simplest diagram (one arrow,) one soon comes to the diagrams that have 3 arrows. One of these is the "time triangle," which has two separable paths with common startpoint and common endpoint. One path has a step-count of 2, the other path a step-count of 1. Since the two paths transpire in the same time interval, a relative frequency ratio is inherent in the time triangle formation. This is an energy ratio, in accord with Planck's E=hf. Its reciprocal is a wavelength ratio, comparing the durations of causal links from the two respective paths of the triangle. We obtain frequency and wavelength numbers without waves. Each causal link is thus a quantum of energy. This account of the "origin of mass" inspires further diagram constructions, until both the electron and the proton have been constructed. The mass-ratio of these two is then calculated to be 1:1836, which is the experimentally determined value. In short, all of physics, including the 4-D manifold, is constructible from causal sets.
Google my name to find the diagrams online. - Carey R. Carlson

Related to What is the Causal Sets Approach to Quantum Gravity?

1. What is the Causal Sets Approach?

The Causal Sets Approach is a theory in theoretical physics, also known as the "discrete approach to quantum gravity". It proposes that the fundamental structure of spacetime is not continuous, but instead is made up of discrete elements called "causal sets". This approach aims to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity by providing a framework for understanding the quantum behavior of spacetime at a fundamental level.

2. How does the Causal Sets Approach differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

The Causal Sets Approach differs from other theories of quantum gravity in that it is based on the idea of discrete spacetime rather than continuous spacetime. This means that spacetime is not viewed as a smooth, continuous fabric, but instead is made up of individual elements that are linked by causal relationships. Additionally, the Causal Sets Approach does not rely on the concept of space or time as a fundamental building block, but rather focuses on the causal relationships between events.

3. What evidence supports the Causal Sets Approach?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for the Causal Sets Approach. However, the theory has been able to make some predictions that align with observations and experiments in other areas of physics, such as black hole evaporation and the behavior of quantum particles. Additionally, the Causal Sets Approach has been able to address some of the limitations of other theories of quantum gravity, such as the problem of time in loop quantum gravity.

4. What are the potential implications of the Causal Sets Approach?

If the Causal Sets Approach is proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of spacetime and the universe. It could potentially lead to a more unified theory of physics, as it attempts to bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, it could have practical applications, such as helping us better understand the behavior of black holes and the early universe.

5. What are the current challenges facing the Causal Sets Approach?

One of the main challenges facing the Causal Sets Approach is the lack of experimental evidence to support it. As it is a relatively new theory, there is still much research and testing needed to validate its predictions. Additionally, the Causal Sets Approach is a complex theory that requires advanced mathematical understanding, making it difficult to fully comprehend and test. However, with advancements in technology and continued research, it is possible that these challenges can be overcome in the future.