What Is the Best Way to Teach Special Relativity?

In summary, the article "Relativity without Tears" by Zurab Silagadze argues for a logical approach to teaching Special Relativity and presents it as a natural and expected description of the real space-time around us. The paper also discusses the cosmological constant problem and the concept of geometry in relation to relativity. It contains 13 sections, including an introduction, a one-postulate derivation of SR, and a discussion of the return of the concept of "æther" in modern physics. The paper has 153 references and seeks feedback for potential publication.
silagadze
Here is an article I submitted to ArXiv some time ago:
http://uk.arxiv.org/abs/0708.0929 (Relativity without tears).
It is about Special Relativity (in fact a sort of review of it) and contains nothing unorthodox at all (I hope), although the angle of view might be somewhat unusual. The reason why I'm posting about it at IR is that it is not yet published (although submitted to a journal). I hope your comments can help avoid typos and make the presentation more clear, if necessary, for alleged publication. Especially I'm interested in important references about topics considered which I could overlook.

The abstract of the paper
Special relativity is no longer a new revolutionary theory but a firmly established cornerstone of modern physics. The teaching of special relativity, however, still follows its presentation as it unfolded historically, trying to convince the audience of this teaching that Newtonian physics is natural but incorrect and special relativity is its paradoxical but correct amendment. I argue in this article in favor of logical instead of historical trend in teaching of relativity and that special relativity is neither paradoxical nor correct (in the absolute sense of the nineteenth century) but the most natural and expected description of the real space-time around us valid for all practical purposes. This last circumstance constitutes a profound mystery of modern physics better known as the cosmological constant problem.

and its list of contents
1. Introduction (a one-postulate derivation of SR goes back to von Ignatowsky's 1910 paper)
2. Relativity without light (a variant of such a derivation combining ideas of several authors)
3. Relativistic energy and momentum (a modification of Davidon's derivation of relativistic energy and momentum stressing not the radical break but continuity with concepts already acquired by students)
4. Relativity without reference frames (the existence of inertial frames in general space-times is neither obvious nor guaranteed)
5. What is geometry? (Felix Klein's Erlangen program -- basic principle of Galois theory applied to geometry)
6. Projective metrics (projective geometry is a good starting point to study different kinds of linear and angular measures)
7. Nine Cayley-Klein geometries (and the 2-dimensional Minkowski geometry is one of them)
8. Possible kinematics (there are only eleven relativity theories of Bacry and Levy-Leblond)
9. Group contractions (and all of them are related to each other via Inonu-Wigner group contractions)
10. Once more about mass (in Galilei invariant theory mass has a cohomological origin and acts as a Schwinger term as opposed to the relativistic case)
11. The return of æther? (vacuum in modern physics is more like Lorentz invariant æther than empty space. Condense matter analogy suggests some intriguing reasons to restore the word 'æther' in the physics vocabulary)
12. Concluding remarks (Cartan geometry underlines modern physics and unifies Riemannian and Kleinian trends in geometry)
13. References (153 references, some ot them very nice)

With best regards, Zurab Silagadze.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t feel that this particularly simplifies relativity in a pedagogical sense. You do minimize the irritating “thought experiments” that plagued my textbook, but other than that it is not particularly improved in my opinion. Also, the pro-aether stance negatively impacts the credibility of the entire work. I, for one, don’t buy the claim that the vacuum in modern quantum theory is closer to the aether.

Related to What Is the Best Way to Teach Special Relativity?

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905, which describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and how the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

What is the theory of relativity used for?

The theory of relativity is used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion at high speeds. It is also used in many practical applications, such as GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects in uniform motion, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on objects. General relativity is an extension of special relativity and provides a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between space, time, and gravity.

What are some of the key principles of special relativity?

Some key principles of special relativity include the constancy of the speed of light, time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy (as described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2).

What are some common misconceptions about special relativity?

Some common misconceptions about special relativity include the belief that it only applies to objects moving at very high speeds, that it can be used to travel faster than the speed of light, and that it has been disproven. In reality, special relativity applies to all objects in motion, it does not allow for faster-than-light travel, and it has been repeatedly confirmed by numerous experiments.