What is the approach to calculating line integrals in a vector field?

In summary, the vectorfield (F) between (0,0) and (1,3) can be expressed in terms of the vectorfield (F) between (0,0) and (1,3) and the function y=3x2.
pakkanen
First I want to greet everyone because I am new here.

I have attended to applied electromagnetic course which seems to be pretty hard to understand and issues came up at very first time after I went at calculations.

I try to explain this as good as possible.

1. Vectorfield F(x,y,z) = (y-2x)ux + (y2-x2)ux. Calculate the fields line integral among the parabola y=3x2, from origin to poin r (r=ux-3uy).

Does it mean that every point of the slope y=3x2 can be expressed in terms of vector field F?

I have tried the following
I put F=r to express the amound of x and y is needed in vector field F to reach point r. It gives me the following:
y-2x = 1
y2-x2 = 3

Does this make sense? I know that vector field´s line integral is int(F-dot-d)
Next I have tried to make this happen and had
int(Fx,y,z-dot-dx,y)
int[-ux+uy(2y-2x)].

How I implement the y=3x2 in this integral? Shouldn´t the integral be
int(3x2) from point 0 to r?

I also have tried to put the function y=3x2 to F(x,y,z) and tried int[(3x2ux-2xux+9x4uy-x2uy)*(dux+duy)
After this I had 2x2+9x4-2x and tried to put value for X which i got when I did F = r but it doesn´t seem to work.

Can anyone give me a clue how should I THINK or understant this? How do I make the calculation?

The answe should be 15/2

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so we want to calculate

[tex]\int_C \vec{F} . d\vec{r} [/tex]

Where C is curve y=3x2 from (0,0) to i+3j (i is the same as ux and j is the same as uy). So it is basically from (0,0) to (1,3) .

I think it should be i+3j or (1,3) as (1,-3) does not lie on the curve. So you can easily parameterize the curve by letting x= some function of t.

so now find [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] for the curve which is in the form [itex] \vec{r} = x(t)\hat{i} + y(t) \hat{j}[/itex].

So what is your range of values for t on the vector r?

When you have this. You can easily parameterize F (make x in terms of t and y in terms of t) and you can find dr

Last edited:
Ok, I have tried this but something is still going wrong.

I replace the y = 3x^2 to in F(x,y,z) and I get F(x,y,z) = (2x2-2x)ux + (9x4-x2)uy

So I know the y in terms of x in the vector field.

I tried to somehow force r in terms of x and y and got r = 1ux and 720uy but I think this is not going to work..

What it means that I have to take [itex]\vec{r} = x(t)\hat{i} + y(t) \hat{j}[/itex] in terms of t?
How I express r in values of x and y? Do I need to replace ux and uy or how I erase them

You can always parameterize an equation y = f(x) by letting x = t, y = f(t). In your case you would get:

r(t) = t i + 3t2j

pakkanen said:
How I express r in values of x and y? Do I need to replace ux and uy or how I erase them

Well you need to do what LCKurtz suggested. I don't think it matters whether you use ux for i or uy for j.

When you find [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]. You need to also get [itex]F(\vec{r(t)})}[/itex]

Ok, thank you by far. this is makes sense now but I still can´t get the right answer.

I got got that the following,
r = ti + 9t2j => dr = d(ti) + d(9t2j)

And the F would be F = (3t2-2t)i + (9t4-t2)j

Can I now take dr = (i + 9tj)dt? Ok, I have done this and int(F.dt):

I had int(3t2-2t+81t5-9t3) with only t:s

How do I get t:s? i tried to put F(t) = r(t) and got 27t4-2t-10 = 0. i mean I put 3t2-2t = 1 and 9t4-t2 = 3 and got very nonsense with t = about -/+ 0,809... I tried to integrate from 0 to t and got some ********.

Last edited:
Your r should be ti + 3t2j. When t = 0 the point is at (0,0) and when t = 1 the point is at (1,3) on your parabola. So the t variable in the integral should go from 0 to 1.

hmmm. of course. int(3t2-2t+81t5-9t3) that is
/(t3 - t2 + 13,5t6 - 2,25t4) right?
Now from 0 to 1 gives me 11,25 and the answer should be 7,5. Somewhere is still error but I can´t find it.

Related to What is the approach to calculating line integrals in a vector field?

What is a line integral in a vector field?

A line integral in a vector field is a mathematical concept that represents the cumulative effect of a vector field along a given curve or path. It is used to calculate the work done by a force field on a moving object along a specific path.

How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by first parameterizing the given curve or path. Then, the vector field is evaluated at each point along the path, and the dot product of the vector field and the tangent vector of the curve is taken. These values are then summed to find the total line integral.

What is the significance of a line integral in vector fields?

The line integral in a vector field has many practical applications, such as calculating work done by a force field, electric or magnetic flux, and fluid flow. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other fields to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems.

What is the difference between a conservative and non-conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is one in which the line integral is independent of the path taken, only depending on the endpoints. This means that the work done by the field is path-independent. In contrast, a non-conservative vector field has a line integral that is dependent on the path, meaning that the work done is path-dependent.

How is the direction of a line integral determined?

The direction of a line integral is determined by the direction of the curve or path along which it is being calculated. This direction is important because it affects the sign of the line integral and can change the value of the final result. The direction can be specified by using a positive or negative sign or by using a direction vector.