What is the Acceleration of a Cheetah Reaching Full Speed in 3 Strides?

• Thread starter hiddenlife5009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the question posed is how to find the cheetah's acceleration when given its stride lengths and full speed. The use of kinematic equations is suggested and it is noted that the time variable is not explicitly stated but can be found using the average speed. The individual seeking help has been able to solve the problem.
hiddenlife5009

Homework Statement

A cheetah, the fastest of all land animals over a short distance, can accelerate from zero to 18.0 m/s in three strides and to a full speed of 31.3 m/s in seconds. Assuming the first three strides are each 4.1 m long and that acceleration is constant until the cheetah reaches full speed, what is the cheetah's acceleration (in m/s2)?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

It is a basic question, but I am over looking something because I cannot figure out which equation I should use. From what I know, I need time to find out what the acceleration is, but no time variable is stated. The question also gives you the stride lengths which just confuses me even more.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should write out all the kinematic equations you know. Given the right equation, you won't need the time. But you can find the time by considering the average speed.

Doc Al said:
You should write out all the kinematic equations you know. Given the right equation, you won't need the time. But you can find the time by considering the average speed.

Thanks for the help, I have worked it out now.

Related to What is the Acceleration of a Cheetah Reaching Full Speed in 3 Strides?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in units of distance per time squared (e.g. meters per second squared).

2. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the rate at which the velocity changes. In other words, acceleration describes how quickly an object's speed or direction is changing over time.

3. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What are some examples of acceleration?

Some examples of acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a ball falling towards the ground, and a runner increasing their speed during a race.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in various ways. If an object experiences positive acceleration, it will increase its speed, while negative acceleration (or deceleration) will decrease its speed. Additionally, acceleration can also cause a change in direction, such as when a car turns a corner or a projectile changes its trajectory.