What is Simpson's Paradox and Is It Truly a Paradox?

• Thread starter mjekov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to discuss the Simpson's paradox and their belief that it is not an actual paradox but rather a manifestation of weighted average properties. They provide links to resources and apologize for not posting in the correct forum.
mjekov
Hello mates,

I am posting this here because I didn't find a forum "Statistics".

What is the main reason:
My brother wish to discuss with people the Simpson's paradox. He believe there is no paradox and it is a just a "Manifestation of the properties of weighted average."

You could see what is a Simpson's paradox here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson's_paradox

http://www.vidoevo.com/yvideo.php?i=d2dMVUR3cWuRpOGVMQjQ&maths-simpson-s-paradox=

On the other hand you could see the article of my brother here:
http://simpsonparadox.wordpress.com/
and simple two videos:

I just want to apologise to the administrators for not posting in a proper forum but I am new here, and as I said I didn't find statistic forum.
Also I hope it will be creative discussion.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mjekov said:
My brother wish to discuss with people the Simpson's paradox. He believe there is no paradox and it is a just a "Manifestation of the properties of weighted average."
The wiki article already says that it is not an actual paradox. They way they described it reminded me of the electoral college.

Related to What is Simpson's Paradox and Is It Truly a Paradox?

1. What is Simpson's Paradox?

Simpson's Paradox is a statistical phenomenon where the overall trend of a dataset appears to be different from the trends observed within subgroups of that dataset. It occurs when a third variable, known as a "confounding variable," influences the relationship between two other variables.

2. How does Simpson's Paradox occur?

Simpson's Paradox occurs when the data is grouped or divided into subgroups, and the relationship between the variables within each subgroup is different from the overall relationship between the variables. This can happen when the confounding variable affects the subgroups differently.

3. Is Simpson's Paradox a true paradox?

No, Simpson's Paradox is not considered a true paradox as it can be explained by the presence of a confounding variable. It is a statistical phenomenon that may seem contradictory at first glance but can be resolved by analyzing the data more closely.

4. Can Simpson's Paradox be avoided?

While it is not always possible to completely avoid Simpson's Paradox, it can be minimized by carefully considering the variables and potential confounding factors when analyzing data. Additionally, using more advanced statistical techniques can also help to identify and account for any potential confounding variables.

5. How can Simpson's Paradox impact data analysis?

Simpson's Paradox can greatly impact data analysis by misleading researchers and causing them to draw incorrect conclusions from the data. It can also create confusion and lead to incorrect decisions in fields such as healthcare, finance, and social sciences. It is important to be aware of this phenomenon and take steps to properly account for confounding variables in data analysis.