What is a good textbook to start learning tensors?

In summary, for those looking to learn about particle physics, general relativity, and quantum field theory, it is important to have a strong understanding of tensor notation. This can be achieved through studying concepts such as tensor calculus, vector analysis, and differential geometry. Some recommended resources for learning these topics include the Schaum series books, the wiki page on tensors, and specific chapters in books such as "A First Course in General Relativity" and "Linear Algebra Done Wrong." While many books on general relativity may focus on more advanced concepts, it is important to also have a strong foundation in classical vector analysis in 3D Euclidean space.
Feynman.12
I am currently an undergraduate physics and applied mathematics student, and have wanted to go ahead in my course to learn about particle physics and general relativity. However, these topics, along with Quantum field theory which I want to learn about later, are taught in tensor notation. So Firstly, before i start studying these subjects, I will start tensors!

Physics news on Phys.org
Schaum Tensor Calculus.
Schaum Vector Analysis
Schaum Differential Geometry
Here is the best options which I can recommend you

Chapter 3 of "A first course in general relativity" by Bernard Schutz. I doubt that there's an easier introduction to the essential stuff about tensors. If you also read chapters 1-2, you will get the best intro to SR there is. I'm less enthusiastic about this book's treatment of GR. It's not mathematical enough for me.

Chapter 8 of "Linear algebra done wrong" by Sergei Treil. This is also the best book on linear algebra, so you will undoubtedly find the rest of the book very useful as well. It can be legally downloaded for free.

I was also inclined to suggest a GR book for intro to tensor analysis/differential geometry. However, there usually you find the treatment in terms of holonomic coordinates or the abstract coordinate free treatment, but usually only a minority of physics students need these ever in their lives and for sure not in the first semesters. There you usually need the classical vector analysis of 3D Euclidean space in Cartesian and orthonormal curvilinear coordinates. I've not found a book, where this is done in a way which completely satifies me, I must admit. A very good review is found in my favorite classical-physics books: A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. II (Fluid Dynamics).

Of the many books on GR, for my taste the best intro to this topic (in terms of the Ricci calculus in holonomic coordinates) is found in

H. Stephan, Relativity - An introduction to special and general relativity, 3rd edition, CUP 2004

Related to What is a good textbook to start learning tensors?

1. What are tensors and why are they important in science?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between different physical quantities. They are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science, to model complex systems and analyze data. Tensors are particularly useful for understanding phenomena that involve multiple variables and dimensions.

2. What should I look for in a textbook on tensors?

A good textbook on tensors should provide a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject, with a focus on practical applications. It should also include plenty of examples and exercises to help you understand and apply the concepts. Additionally, look for a textbook that uses a notation and approach that you find intuitive and easy to follow.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for learning tensors?

A basic understanding of linear algebra and calculus is essential for learning tensors. You should be comfortable with concepts such as matrices, vectors, and derivatives before diving into tensors. Some familiarity with physics and engineering principles may also be helpful, but it is not necessarily required.

4. Can you recommend any textbooks on tensors for beginners?

Some highly recommended textbooks for beginners include "Introduction to Tensor Analysis and the Calculus of Moving Surfaces" by Pavel Grinfeld, "Tensor Calculus for Physics: A Concise Guide" by Dwight E. Neuenschwander, and "Tensor Analysis: Theory and Applications" by I. S. Sokolnikoff and R. M. Redheffer. However, it's always a good idea to do some research and read reviews from other readers before selecting a textbook that works best for you.

5. Is there any particular software or programming language I should learn for working with tensors?

Tensors are typically used in conjunction with programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, or Mathematica. However, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of a specific programming language to learn tensors. It is more important to have a solid understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and notation used in tensors, which can then be applied to any programming language of your choice.