What Happens to the Remaining Support When One Is Removed From a Supported Rod?

Therefore, the force exerted on the other support will be equal to the weight of the rod, which is 100 N. This can be calculated using the formula F1 + F2 = mg, where F1 and F2 are the forces exerted by the two supports and mg is the weight of the rod. Therefore, in summary, the force on the other support immediately after one support is kicked out is equal to the weight of the rod, 100 N.
EndoBendo

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of weight W = 100 N is supported horizontally by two vertical
props at its ends. At time t = 0 one of the these supports is kicked out. Find the
force on the other support immediately thereafter.

Homework Equations

F1 + F2 = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

-F1(L) + 100N(L) = 0
100N = F1

seems too simple.. i don't understand what i did, i just plugged it into a formula i found in the book...

Physics news on Phys.org
EndoBendo said:

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of weight W = 100 N is supported horizontally by two vertical
props at its ends. At time t = 0 one of the these supports is kicked out. Find the
force on the other support immediately thereafter.

Homework Equations

F1 + F2 = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

-F1(L) + 100N(L) = 0
100N = F1

seems too simple.. i don't understand what i did, i just plugged it into a formula i found in the book...

Once one support is kicked out it is no longer a stable/stationary rod.

Related to What Happens to the Remaining Support When One Is Removed From a Supported Rod?

What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning. It involves the principles of forces, torques, and angular momentum to describe the rotational motion of an object.

What is a torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is the product of the force applied to an object and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear motion involves the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object moves along a circular path and has both an angular displacement and an angular velocity, while in linear motion, the object has a linear displacement and a linear velocity.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of an object and is calculated using the object's mass and the distance of its mass from the axis of rotation.

How is angular momentum conserved in rotational dynamics?

In rotational dynamics, angular momentum is conserved when there are no external torques acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant, even if the individual objects within the system are rotating or changing their rotational motion.