What Does This Notation Mean in Conditional Probability?

In summary, the notation "x^2" represents x squared, or x multiplied by itself, and is commonly used in algebra. To read a mathematical expression with multiple symbols and numbers, follow the rules of order of operations. In calculus, the notation "f(x)" represents a function and "lim x->a f(x)" indicates the limit of a function as the variable approaches a. To simplify an algebraic expression, combine like terms and use the rules of order of operations and properties of exponents and logarithms.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

Could anybody please explain this notation? The only thing I undersand here is the limit. Is r a superscript? If not, what is it? And what does E(variable|condition/equation) mean?

I know that in the set theory, | means a separator between the variable and condition (ex: S = {x | f(x) = 5}, but what does it mean in this case?

Homework Equations

bgk7g.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Googling.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's dealing with conditional probability; in this case, looking for the conditional expectation of X.

Related to What Does This Notation Mean in Conditional Probability?

1. What does the notation "x^2" mean?

The notation "x^2" means x squared, or x multiplied by itself. It is commonly used in algebra to represent the second power of a variable.

2. How do I read a mathematical expression with multiple symbols and numbers?

To read a mathematical expression, start by identifying the symbols and their corresponding operations. Follow the rules of order of operations, which dictate that parentheses are evaluated first, followed by exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).

3. What does the notation "f(x)" mean in calculus?

The notation "f(x)" represents a function in calculus, where the variable x is the input and f(x) is the output. It is used to express the relationship between variables and their values.

4. How do I simplify an algebraic expression?

To simplify an algebraic expression, combine like terms and use the rules of order of operations to evaluate the expression. You can also use properties of exponents and logarithms to simplify expressions with variables and exponents.

5. What does the notation "lim x->a f(x)" mean in calculus?

The notation "lim x->a f(x)" indicates the limit of a function f(x) as the variable x approaches the value a. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point and is an important concept in calculus and analysis.