What does compressible flow look like in a duct undergoing heating/cooling?

s34n
Been trying to find out what compressible flows would look like, to picture why you get the not so intuitive property changes.

Started with looking into what might be happening in Rayleigh flow. Theres plently of examples on how to use maths to calculate property changes when going from inlet to outlet of a duct, but I've not been able to find anything that gives a visual picture of what is happening with the flow within the duct and at the heating/cooling point.

My reference material has been this book link to pdf copy of Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals & Applications (link to copyright book removed by moderator) , Rayleigh flow starting at page 693 of the book (718 of the PDF).
And the table for Rayleigh flow property changes, Table 12-3 on page 696 (721 of pdf).

Should I be thinking of the heating/cooling causing a creation of an artifical nozzel out of the affected fluid at the wall of the duct?

Is the heating/cooling of the fluid meant to be equal across the cross section of the duct at the one point?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread is in Moderation for Mentor review...

After deleting a link to a PDF textbook copy of questionable origin, this thread is re-opened.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look or who/where to ask about visualising compressible flows, that would be welcomed as well.

Cheers

Thanks onatirec.

Interesting video. Its those sorts of images and ideas that make me think maybe theres a nozzel being created out of the affected fluid, but thats just my crazy thoughts at the moment.

Cheers