What Do $V_i=L$ and $V_i=H$ Mean in CMOS Inverters?

• MHB
  • Thread starter aruwin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmos
In summary, a CMOS inverter is a type of logical gate that utilizes complementary MOS technology. The notation $V_i = L$ typically represents an input voltage that is similar to ground, while $V_i = H$ represents an input voltage that is similar to the supply voltage $V_{dd}$. Kind regards.
aruwin
Hello.
Can someone explain to me what does $V_i=L$ and $V_i=H$ mean in CMOS inverters?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
Can someone explain to me what does $V_i=L$ and $V_i=H$ mean in CMOS inverters?

A CMOS inveter is a logical not gate made with the technology of complementary mos ...

View attachment 2839Vi is the imput voltage and usually $V_{i} = L$ means $Vi \sim \text{Ground}$ and $V_{i} = H$ means $v_{i} \sim V_{dd}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

• not gate.jpg
    not gate.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 36
chisigma said:
A CMOS inveter is a logical not gate made with the technology of complementary mos ...

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2839Vi is the imput voltage and usually $V_{i} = L$ means $Vi \sim \text{Ground}$ and $V_{i} = H$ means $v_{i} \sim V_{dd}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Thank you so much!

Related to What Do $V_i=L$ and $V_i=H$ Mean in CMOS Inverters?

What is a CMOS inverter?

A CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) inverter is a type of logic gate that operates on both positive and negative voltage inputs, and produces an output that is the opposite of the input. It is made up of both a PMOS (P-type Metal Oxide Semiconductor) and NMOS (N-type Metal Oxide Semiconductor) transistor connected in series.

How does a CMOS inverter work?

A CMOS inverter works by using a PMOS transistor to pull the output voltage up to the positive supply voltage when the input is low, and using an NMOS transistor to pull the output voltage down to the negative supply voltage when the input is high. This results in a low output voltage for a high input voltage, and a high output voltage for a low input voltage.

What are the advantages of using CMOS inverters?

CMOS inverters have several advantages, including low power consumption, high noise immunity, and the ability to operate at high speeds. They also have a high output resistance, which makes them less susceptible to external noise and interference.

What are the applications of CMOS inverters?

CMOS inverters are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, calculators, and digital logic circuits. They are also commonly used in integrated circuits (ICs) for memory, microprocessors, and other digital applications.

What are the limitations of CMOS inverters?

One limitation of CMOS inverters is that they have a limited output current, which can make them unsuitable for high-power applications. They also have a limited voltage range, typically between the supply voltages, which can restrict their use in certain circuits.