What do I need to download/install for Java?

• Java
  • Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, if you are looking for a development kit for Java that can compile and run code, you have a few options. You could consider using the Processing IDE, which allows you to code in Java and also includes interactive graphics. Alternatively, you could download Netbeans or Eclipse, both of which come with Java embedded and offer more features for full application projects. Another option is to download the JDK from Oracle and use your platform's editor, though it may be beneficial to have a syntax colorizing editor familiar with Java structure and keywords. If you are having trouble, make sure you have downloaded the correct version for your platform.
Math10
I'm using Windows 8 and I have Notepad++ for coding in Java but I need a development kit for Java that can compile and run Java. I went to the website java.sun.com to download J2SE but it doesn't work.

Technology news on Phys.org
The short answer is you could consider the Processing IDE. It allows you to code in Java within a context of doing interactive graphics. I think it comes with Java embedded.

https://processing.org

The long answer would be to download Netbeans or eclipse which come with Java embedded inside and allow you to do full application projects. These are the tools that professional programmers use for development. The IDE editor will do code completion, colorize, look up api and a lot of other features.

https://netbeans.org/downloads/

The economical answer is to download the JDK from Oracle and install it and use your platform editor. However it really helps to have a syntax colorizing editor familiar with Java structure and keywords.

What problem are you experiencing? Did you download the right version for your platform?

Related to What do I need to download/install for Java?

1. What is Java?

Java is a high-level, object-oriented programming language developed by Sun Microsystems. It is widely used for developing desktop, web, and mobile applications.

2. Do I need to download Java?

Yes, in order to use Java on your computer, you need to download and install the Java Development Kit (JDK) from Oracle's website. This will include the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) which is necessary for running Java programs.

3. Can I have multiple versions of Java installed on my computer?

Yes, you can have multiple versions of Java installed on your computer. However, only one version can be set as the default and used by your applications at a time. You can switch between versions by changing the Java version in your system's environment variables.

4. How do I know if Java is already installed on my computer?

You can check if Java is already installed on your computer by opening the command prompt (Windows) or terminal (Mac) and typing "java -version". If Java is installed, it will display the version number. If not, you will receive an error message.

5. Do I need to update Java?

It is recommended to regularly update Java to the latest version to ensure your computer has the latest security patches and bug fixes. You can check for updates through the Java Control Panel or by downloading the latest version from Oracle's website.