What Determines the Maximum Area of an Athletic Field?

• Thread starter dmonlama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Field
In summary, the problem discusses the construction of an athletic field in the shape of a rectangle with semicircular regions on the ends and a 400-m racetrack surrounding it. The area of the rectangular portion can be expressed as 40000/pi - pi(r)^2, where r is the radius of the semicircular regions. To find the largest possible area, the values of x and r must be determined.
dmonlama

Homework Statement

An athletic field is to be built in the sahpe of a rectangle x units long capped by semicircular regions of radius r at the two ends. The field is to be bounded by a 400-m racetrack.
a. Express the area of the rectangular portion of the field as a funcion of x alone or r alone (your choice).
b. What values of x and r give the rectangular portion the largest possible area?

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, i expressed the equation in terms of r. I got 40000/pi - pi(r)^2. i just took the overall area and subtract it by the semicircular circles.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question? If you are asking if you did this correctly, I can't say because didn't show how you got that answer. Are you saying that the "overall area" is 4000/pi? How did you get that?

i got the 40000/pi - pi(r)^2 by getting the overall area and minus it by the semicircular circles that cap the rectangular part. that's the answer for a.

dmonlama said:
i got the 40000/pi - pi(r)^2 by getting the overall area and minus it by the semicircular circles that cap the rectangular part. that's the answer for a.

No, it's not. If r=0 that gives 40000/pi for the area, which can't be right. Again, show how you reached that conclusion.

HallsofIvy said:
What is your question? If you are asking if you did this correctly, I can't say because didn't show how you got that answer. Are you saying that the "overall area" is 4000/pi? How did you get that?

dmonlama said:
Now, please answer my original question. HOW did you get "the overall area"?

Related to What Determines the Maximum Area of an Athletic Field?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of an athletic field?

The formula for finding the area of an athletic field is length x width. This is the same formula used for finding the area of any rectangle-shaped surface.

2. How do I measure the length and width of an athletic field?

The length and width of an athletic field can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Start at one end of the field and measure to the other end for the length. Then, measure the width from one side of the field to the other.

3. What units of measurement should I use for the length and width of an athletic field?

The length and width of an athletic field can be measured in either feet (ft) or meters (m). It is important to be consistent with units of measurement when using the formula for finding the area.

4. Can I use the same formula for finding the area of any athletic field?

Yes, the formula for finding the area of an athletic field can be used for any rectangular-shaped field, regardless of its size or purpose. This includes football fields, soccer fields, and even golf courses.

5. Why is it important to know the area of an athletic field?

Knowing the area of an athletic field is important for several reasons. It can help with planning and designing the layout of the field, and also for determining the amount of space available for certain activities or events. Additionally, knowing the area can also be useful for calculating the cost of maintenance, such as mowing or fertilizing, for the field.