What College Majors Require Calc-Based Physics?

In summary: Some schools only require calculus based physics for engineering majors or physics majors.In summary, The most common majors that require calculus based physics are engineering and physical chemistry.
kamikazejosh
I am a high school physics teacher and course sign ups for next year are coming soon. I am trying to find college majors that require calculus based physics in their coursework. Obviously physics majors and engineers. What are some other big ones? I think some premed are required to take it? Architects? Computer Science? Math? Geology? I am looking for majors not based off of the physics department. I am sorry if something like this has been posted already. I never have luck searching forums.

Science news on Phys.org
Sorry not sure exactly what you're asking.
If you are looking for subjects other than physics that use calculus at college level.
Then almost all of engineering and physical chemistry.

Which courses at which institutions require student to have some experience/exam/certificate in calculus to admit them will depend on the individual instution

I currently teach AP Physics C, calculus based physics. To help improve my class size numbers, I am trying to find as many college majors as possible that have calculus based physics in it besides engineering and physics. But you just stated one for me, chemistry. Thanks you.

At a lot of schools, pre-medical students have to take calculus-based physics.

Since for majors other than physics and engineering, the physics requirements vary (for instance our university requires only algebra-based physics for architecture students and pre-med/pre-vet students... and chemistry, computer science and many math students take a calc-based truncated sequence of only two terms), if I were you, I'd get the course catalogs for some institutions in your region and use those to do your research, since these are the programs your students are most likely to enter. Then you can reference those catalogs and even show students how to determine this information themselves. Nowadays, most universities have their catalogs online.

physics girl phd said:
Since for majors other than physics and engineering, the physics requirements vary (for instance our university requires only algebra-based physics for architecture students and pre-med/pre-vet students... and chemistry, computer science and many math students take a calc-based truncated sequence of only two terms), if I were you, I'd get the course catalogs for some institutions in your region and use those to do your research, since these are the programs your students are most likely to enter. Then you can reference those catalogs and even show students how to determine this information themselves. Nowadays, most universities have their catalogs online.

I did that for a few majors and it seems to vary from college to college. Sometimes they have a physics class based class for that major or just don't require calculus based physics at all.

Related to What College Majors Require Calc-Based Physics?

1. What is the difference between calc-based physics and algebra-based physics?

Calc-based physics, also known as calculus-based physics, is a more advanced level of physics that requires knowledge of calculus. Algebra-based physics, on the other hand, focuses on using algebraic equations to solve problems. Calc-based physics is typically required for students pursuing a degree in engineering, mathematics, or the physical sciences.

2. Which college majors typically require calc-based physics?

Calc-based physics is commonly required for majors in engineering, physics, astronomy, geology, and other physical sciences. It may also be required for students pursuing a degree in mathematics or computer science, depending on the program.

3. Can I take calc-based physics if I haven't taken calculus yet?

In most cases, it is recommended that students have taken at least one semester of calculus before taking calc-based physics. This is because calculus is used extensively in calc-based physics to solve problems and understand concepts. However, some colleges may offer introductory calc-based physics courses that do not require prior knowledge of calculus.

4. Is calc-based physics more difficult than algebra-based physics?

Calc-based physics is generally considered to be more challenging than algebra-based physics. This is because it requires a higher level of math skills and a deeper understanding of calculus concepts. However, the level of difficulty may also depend on the individual student's strengths and interests.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who have taken calc-based physics?

Calc-based physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, data analysis, and teaching. It provides a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Graduates with a background in calc-based physics may also pursue advanced degrees in fields such as physics, engineering, or applied mathematics.