What characteristics distinguish major classification groups in biology?

In summary: You might want to look for identification keys that address all of the different types of organisms. For example, a key that includes animals, plants, and fungi would be a good option.
Rya
Hello everyone..
I have got an assignment for biology.. I've done Task 1,2
but i need help with Task 3..
and it says..

Task 3

carry out research using different sources. Explain how the characteristics you used to produce your identification key differ from those which are used to distinguish the major classification groups.

I've done my own identification key ...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1048/webb.jpg

but i don't know what shall i do after...!

Please help and explain more for me =)
many thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Rya to PF (physicsforums)!
You have a very fascinating assignment. I wonder what level, grade is this question?

In part 3, they are asking you to research and find keys we use today, that classify all the living creatures. Besides your own biology book(s), you may want to find more biology books and encyclopaedia in the library for your research. I would do that first. Then in addition, you may find some information on the internet that address this topic. Once you have located indentification keys that sort out items similar to your list, compare the characteristics they used to sort them, to the ones you used.

You may also want to double check that items you've sorted really fit the criteria you've chosen. Example: Do mushrooms have roots? What do ducks eat?
I would research each item to see if they fit the categories you've chosen.

Last edited:
Thanx aloot :)...
im doing BETC first diploma :)..

alright i'll look at the library because I've got GCSE biology books..but i can't find anything about this topic..!

but shall i look after animals , plants, fungi, identification key separated??
because there isn't any identification key that contains everything like animals, plants, fungi..

You may also want to double check that items you've sorted really fit the criteria you've chosen. Example: Do mushrooms have roots? What do ducks eat?

mmmm, i can't really get it...:$ could you explain more , please, if you don't mind :)

You might start with key words classification key. and major classification groups, and see how they organize them, what criteria they choose...

After you have sorted out your animals, plants, fungi, I would look up each one individually and see if it fits the criteria and category you have made. For example, mushrooms are fungi, Within the substrate they consume, they produce hyphae to absorb nutrients. A mass of hyphae are collectively called a mycelium. Therefore they do not produce a roots like a plant does. I would look up the other organisms and see if they fit. I've given you a clue about ducks. So you might look up them up next.

Last edited:
awww, alright thanks :)...
but i think i need some identification key to compare with mine? right?..

Related to What characteristics distinguish major classification groups in biology?

1. What is an identification key in biology?

An identification key in biology is a tool used to identify organisms based on their physical characteristics, such as their shape, size, color, and other distinguishing features. It is typically presented as a series of paired statements or questions that lead the user to the correct identification of the organism.

2. How does an identification key work?

An identification key works by presenting a series of choices or questions, each with two possible answers. The user must carefully observe the organism and choose the answer that best matches its physical characteristics. By following the key, the user can narrow down the options and ultimately identify the organism.

3. What are the benefits of using an identification key?

There are several benefits of using an identification key in biology. It allows for the quick and accurate identification of organisms, even for non-experts. It also encourages careful observation and critical thinking skills. Additionally, identification keys can be used to classify and organize organisms into groups based on their shared characteristics.

4. Are there different types of identification keys?

Yes, there are different types of identification keys used in biology. Dichotomous keys present two options at each step, while polytomous keys may have more than two options. Monographic keys focus on a single group of organisms, while synoptic keys cover multiple groups. Additionally, there are online and interactive keys that use digital technology to aid in identification.

5. Can anyone use an identification key?

Identification keys can be used by anyone, regardless of their level of expertise in biology. They are designed to be user-friendly and do not require extensive knowledge or training. However, it is important to carefully follow the instructions and accurately observe the organism to ensure a correct identification.