What Book Best Explains Fourier Transforms for Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a book to help them understand the mathematical aspects of the Fourier transform and its application in solving the Schrodinger's equation for a free particle. They have a strong background in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, complex analysis, real analysis, and abstract algebra. They are not satisfied with intuitive explanations and are seeking a more in-depth understanding through books such as Mary Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences or Lanczos' Applied Analysis.
Avatrin
Hi

To properly understand introductory quantum mechanics, I want to understand what the Fourier transform actually gives me mathematically. What book do you recommend? I found one book, but it doesn't get to Fourier transformations until after seven long chapters. Is that what I have to expect?

In case you are wondering what I already know. Here it is:
Single- and multivariable calculus
Linear algebra
Complex analysis (with some topology of complex spaces)
Real analysis (metric spaces, measure theory, Lebesgue integration, some functional analysis)
Abstract algebra (group, ring and field theory)

I just need to understand what the solution of the Schrodingers equation for the free particle actually tells me (for which I have to use the Fourier integral). The "intuitive" explanations are not satisfactory for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can have a look at a book such as Mary Boas' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences. For a more indepth view, you need to look at harmonic analysis. A good resource is the classic book by Lanczos, Applied Analysis. It's chapter IV in that book, but you have enough backgroud to start reading from there (and the first three chapters are not especially relevant).

Likes Avatrin

Related to What Book Best Explains Fourier Transforms for Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze and process signals in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is a Fourier transform calculated?

A Fourier transform is calculated by taking a mathematical expression or function and breaking it down into its individual frequency components. This is typically done using an integral or summation over the function and its frequency components.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier series and a Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is a representation of a function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies, while a Fourier transform is a representation of a function as a sum of complex exponential functions with different frequencies. A Fourier series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier transform can be used for both periodic and non-periodic functions.

4. What are some applications of the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, data compression, and pattern recognition. It is also used in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics.

5. Is the Fourier transform reversible?

Yes, the Fourier transform is reversible, meaning that the original function can be recovered from its Fourier transform. This is done by taking the inverse Fourier transform, which is the same as the Fourier transform but with a negative sign in the exponent.