What Are the Physical Limitations of a Dyson Sphere?

• B
  • Thread starter Justice Hunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, some people think that a Dyson sphere around a star (KIC 8462852) 1500 light years away is evidence of alien life. The article linked in the post discusses some of the physical limits to a Dyson sphere.
Justice Hunter
So the popular internet news outlets are ringing with articles about a possible Dyson sphere, or alien mega-structure around a star (KIC 8462852) 1500 light years away.

Here is one such article :
http://www.space.com/30855-alien-life-search-kepler-megastructure.html

I'd like to know, since i don't want to jump to conclusions, what are the physical limitiations of a Dyson sphere?

Also, I'd like to know what your thoughts are, and if anyone has any papers, or studies that are related to the star, and if anyone has an inside scoop on what's happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
We've got a thread about the star and all the hype it doesn't deserve. See here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/kic-8462852-in-the-news.837900/
Read the discovery paper linked to in post #7 therein. Section 4.4 of the paper provides constraints and analyses of possible causes.

Thanks a lot :)

I'll be kind of disappointed if its not aliens, since its about time we discovered some so we can set humanity straight here on earth, but hey what are you going to do :oldshy:

Justice Hunter said:
Thanks a lot :)

I'll be kind of disappointed if its not aliens, since its about time we discovered some so we can set humanity straight here on earth, but hey what are you going to do :oldshy:
You may not get what you wish for. What if the aliens you seek are like those in Alien v. Predator?

SteamKing said:
You may not get what you wish for. What if the aliens you seek are like those in Alien v. Predator?

I've watched enough Micheal Bay movies to know that humanity always wins, because the aliens are always dumb enough to land in murica!

Likes DrewD

Related to What Are the Physical Limitations of a Dyson Sphere?

1. What is a Dyson Sphere?

A Dyson Sphere is a hypothetical megastructure designed to completely surround a star and harness its energy output for a civilization's use.

2. How was the Dyson Sphere discovered?

The Dyson Sphere was not actually discovered, but rather theorized by physicist Freeman Dyson in 1960. However, scientists have been searching for evidence of Dyson Spheres by looking for anomalous infrared signatures in space.

3. What implications does the discovery of a Dyson Sphere have?

The discovery of a Dyson Sphere would have significant implications for our understanding of advanced civilizations and their technological capabilities. It would also raise questions about the sustainability of harnessing a star's energy and the potential impact on the surrounding environment.

4. Is there any evidence of a Dyson Sphere in our universe?

As of now, there is no concrete evidence of a Dyson Sphere in our universe. However, there have been several potential candidates, such as the star KIC 8462852 (also known as Tabby's Star), which has shown unusual light fluctuations that could potentially be attributed to a Dyson Sphere.

5. How would the discovery of a Dyson Sphere impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of a Dyson Sphere would challenge our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also provide insights into the potential capabilities of advanced civilizations and their potential impact on the universe.