What Are the Highest and Lowest Frequencies Heard Due to the Doppler Effect?

In summary, the problem involves a block with a speaker bolted to it connected to a spring with a spring constant of 17.0 N/m and a total mass of 44.00 kg. The amplitude of motion is 0.475 m and the speed of sound is 343 m/s. The task is to determine the highest and lowest frequencies heard by a person to the right of the speaker, assuming that the speaker emits sound waves of frequency 420 Hz. The solution involves using the formula d = mg/k to find the distance traveled by the speaker, and then using the formula [v/(v (+ or -) vs)]*f to calculate the highest and lowest frequencies. However, the final answers are off by about
TheStig
Doppler effect homework problem help (still lost)

Homework Statement

A block with a speaker bolted to it is connected to a spring having spring constant k = 17.0 N/m, as in Figure P17.40. The total mass of the block and speaker is 44.00 kg, and the amplitude of this unit's motion is 0.475 m. Assume that the speed of sound is 343 m/s.

(a) If the speaker emits sound waves of frequency 420 Hz, determine the highest and lowest frequencies heard by the person to the right of the speaker to the nearest 0.01 Hz.

Homework Equations

d = mg/k
vs = gt
[v/(v (+ or -) vs)]*f

The Attempt at a Solution

When my friend and I were working on this, here's what we did:
Got variables:
k = 17N/m
mass = 44kg
amplitude = .475m
v = 343m/s
freq = 420Hz
I = 1000Hz

Our way of solving was using k = mg/d and solving for d.
d = mg/17
d = 25.36 = 1/2 * 9.8 * t^2
t = 2.28

From here, we used the formula [v/(v (+ or -) vs)]*f.

My answers are 449.27 Hz and 394.36 Hz
Now, here's the problem, our answers end up being within 10% but we have no idea what we did wrong and any ideas as to how to get the correct answer from here. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there something I'm missing that is causing my answer to be about 10% off?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is relative motion between the source of a wave and the observer. In this problem, the speaker is attached to a spring and is moving back and forth, causing a change in the frequency of the sound waves it emits. The key equation to use in this problem is the Doppler effect equation, which is [v/(v (+ or -) vs)]*f, where v is the speed of sound and vs is the velocity of the source.

Based on the given information, it seems like you have correctly determined the velocity of the speaker using the equation d = mg/k. However, the next step would be to use this velocity to calculate the frequency shift using the Doppler effect equation. It looks like you may have used the initial frequency of 420 Hz in your calculations, which is not correct. Instead, you should be using the frequency shift, which is equal to the change in frequency from the original frequency of the sound waves.

To calculate the frequency shift, you can use the equation vs = gt, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. Once you have the velocity of the speaker, you can plug it into the Doppler effect equation to calculate the highest and lowest frequencies heard by the person to the right of the speaker. Remember to use the correct sign for vs (positive or negative) depending on the direction of motion of the speaker.

I hope this helps clarify the problem. If you are still having trouble, I suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and making sure you are using the correct equations and variables. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the situation. Good luck!

Related to What Are the Highest and Lowest Frequencies Heard Due to the Doppler Effect?

What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect is commonly observed when an ambulance or train passes by, and the sound of the siren or horn appears to change pitch as it approaches and then moves away from the observer.

How does the Doppler effect apply to homework problems?

The Doppler effect is often used in physics and astronomy homework problems to calculate the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion of the source and observer. These problems typically involve the use of the Doppler equation, which relates the observed and source frequencies or wavelengths to the relative velocity between the two.

What are some real-world applications of the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect has many practical applications, including radar and sonar systems, weather forecasting, and medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound. It is also used in astronomy to study the motion and properties of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies.

What are the key factors to consider when solving a Doppler effect homework problem?

When solving a Doppler effect homework problem, it is important to consider the relative motion of the source and observer, the frequency or wavelength of the wave, and the speed of the wave. Other factors, such as the medium through which the wave is traveling, may also need to be taken into account depending on the specific problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Doppler effect homework problem?

One common mistake when solving a Doppler effect homework problem is forgetting to account for the sign of the relative velocity between the source and observer. Another mistake is using the wrong equation or not properly converting units. It is also important to double-check calculations and make sure the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.