What are the different number of matrices available for the following

• Thread starter vcakula
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: No, we don't do that here. You need to solve the problem yourself. We will give hints or check the answer. We don't give out answers.
vcakula
Greetings,

I have a matrix of order 5 x 5

I would like to replace the

2 elements in column 1 with 0's
1 elements in column 2 with 0's
4 elements in column 3 with 0's
3 elements in column 4 with 0's
2 elements in column 5 with 0's

What are the different number of matrices available if I do replace.

Hoe can this be solved for a general case if matrix is of m x n

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the original matrix. If the original matrix were

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

then there would only be one matrix available, no matter what the replacements are.

So, you must keep track of the number of zeroes already in the matrix. For example, you can say that column i has [itex]K_i[/itex] zeroes.
Now, before I give any hints, what are your thoughts about the problem?? What did you attempt?

Lets us assume that there are no 0's in the matrix and all the elements of the matrix are unique i.e there are no repetitive elements in the matrix. So the question is like replacing 2 elements in column 1 by 0's.

I tired to treat each column separately as a line with 5 places and check the number of ways 0's could be arranged.

like the
numbers of ways for arranging 2 0's be arranged in 5 places for column 1 and so on for column 2 till column 5.

then multiplied the possibilities of all the columns.

Is this correct..?

vcakula said:
Lets us assume that there are no 0's in the matrix and all the elements of the matrix are unique i.e there are no repetitive elements in the matrix. So the question is like replacing 2 elements in column 1 by 0's.

I tired to treat each column separately as a line with 5 places and check the number of ways 0's could be arranged.

like the
numbers of ways for arranging 2 0's be arranged in 5 places for column 1 and so on for column 2 till column 5.

then multiplied the possibilities of all the columns.

Is this correct..?
Sounds right.

haruspex said:
Sounds right.

Can you just solve the above problem and let me know the steps which you have followed so that I can compare my answer with yours

vcakula said:
Can you just solve the above problem and let me know the steps which you have followed so that I can compare my answer with yours

No, we don't do that here. You need to solve the problem yourself. We will give hints or check the answer. We don't give out answers.

Related to What are the different number of matrices available for the following

1. What are the different types of matrices available?

The different types of matrices available include square matrices, rectangular matrices, symmetric matrices, skew-symmetric matrices, diagonal matrices, identity matrices, upper triangular matrices, and lower triangular matrices.

2. How many elements are in a square matrix?

A square matrix has n x n elements, where n is the number of rows (or columns) in the matrix.

3. What is the difference between a symmetric and a skew-symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements above and below the main diagonal are equal. A skew-symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements above and below the main diagonal are negatives of each other.

4. Can a matrix have more than two dimensions?

Yes, a matrix can have any number of dimensions. However, matrices with more than two dimensions are not commonly used in mathematics and are often referred to as tensors.

5. Are there any special properties of an identity matrix?

Yes, an identity matrix is a square matrix with 1's on the main diagonal and 0's everywhere else. It has the special property that when multiplied with another matrix, it does not change the values of the other matrix. It is also its own inverse.