What are the cons of cannabis legalization?

• News
  • Thread starter Martini
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of marijuana legalization and its potential effects on the economy and society. Some argue that it will have a positive impact, while others believe it will bring about negative consequences. The conversation also mentions the popular song "Because I Got High" by Afroman, but it is considered too graphic to post.
Martini
Can someone describe them to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh no... The thread is back..

See "Because I got high" by afroman.

^LOL

But in all honesty, there are none. The only thing marijuana legalization will do is make pizza companies stocks skyrocket.

Exactly, I can think of no argument against legalization.
And "because I got high" is a great song :]

Martini said:
Exactly, I can think of no argument against legalization.
I know lots of them, dude, but I forgot, dude. What was the question, dude?

Here in BC it would hurt the economy. At the moment it brings in lots of money from it's illegal trade with the United States. If it were legalized it would become much more difficult to sell it to the United States because legal suppliers would not be able to export it, and illegal suppliers (that would still be exporting) would have to compete with the legal domestic suppliers. How much of BC's economy would be affected by it's legalization isn't easily measured due to it's illegal nature, but it would be a significant hit.

However, if the US were to legalize it as well, that's a different ball game...

maverick_starstrider said:
See "Because I got high" by afroman.
That was the song I mentioned, it's great, but can't post the video due to it being a bit too graphic in one part.

We just had a very lengthy thread on this. Closed.

Welcome back Smurf!

Last edited:

Related to What are the cons of cannabis legalization?

1. What are the potential health risks associated with cannabis legalization?

Some potential health risks of cannabis use include impaired cognitive functioning, respiratory issues, and an increased risk of developing mental health disorders. Additionally, long-term use of cannabis has been linked to a higher risk of addiction and substance abuse.

2. How will cannabis legalization impact public safety?

One concern is that legalizing cannabis may lead to an increase in impaired driving and accidents. There may also be an increase in crime related to the production and distribution of cannabis. However, it is important to note that there is limited research on the specific effects of cannabis legalization on public safety.

3. What are the potential economic drawbacks of cannabis legalization?

One potential economic drawback is the cost of regulating and enforcing cannabis laws, which could be a burden for taxpayers. Additionally, there may be a decrease in revenue for law enforcement agencies and a potential loss of revenue for the pharmaceutical industry. There may also be concerns about the impact on employment and workplace productivity.

4. Will cannabis legalization lead to increased use among minors?

There is some concern that cannabis legalization may make it easier for minors to access and use cannabis. However, studies have shown mixed results on the impact of legalization on underage use. It is important for regulations to be in place to prevent underage access and for education programs to inform minors about the potential risks of cannabis use.

5. How will cannabis legalization affect the black market for cannabis?

One potential drawback of cannabis legalization is that it may not completely eliminate the black market for cannabis. This could be due to factors such as high taxes on legal cannabis or regulations that make it difficult for legal businesses to compete with the black market. However, legalizing cannabis can also potentially decrease the profits of the black market and redirect those funds into the legal market.