What are the Appropriate Orifice Sizes for Uniform Exit Temperatures?

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in determining the appropriate orifice sizes for four components in a cabinet, each with an inlet and exit orifice, to achieve a uniform exit temperature of 140F in a 70F ambient at sea level pressure. The problem involves using conservation of mass and energy equations, as well as calculating the flow rate and velocity to determine the orifice area and diameter.
elmandilon11
I need help, hope somebody can give me a hint

Determine the appropiate orifice sizes for uniform exit temperatures of 140F from the four units in 70F ambient/ sea level pressure? Components (50W, 500W, 1000W and 300W)

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
you are going to have to be a little more specific here. Internal flow, external flow, modes of heat transfer? you clearly must be confused, you need to learn how to ask the right questions

Sorry,

I do have a problem. It is a cabinet, it has 4 components. Each component has has an inlet an an exit orifice where the air passes through. I would like to determine the orifice size for uniform exit temperatures of 140F from the four components in 70F ambient at sea level pressure.

Am I correct in saying that the air is heated inside the compartment? I will assume that I am. for started let's make a control volume. Say we make a control volume around one compartment. We know by conservation of mass that mdotin=mdotout, and that Q=mdot*cp*dt, where dt=To-Ti. So if we say that Q is the power given off by the heater inside the compartment (which is given in the problem) then we have everything we need to solve the problem.

remember that mdot=(rho)(A)(V), you know rho given the 1 atm at 70
you know Ti=70
To=140
Given Q
Solve for mdot

But you need to know a flow rate to know a velocity at which the air is entering the compartment so you can solve for area and then diameter.

I may have miss understood your question but if you are given a flow rate or velocity then follow these steps.

Related to What are the Appropriate Orifice Sizes for Uniform Exit Temperatures?

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or substance to another. It can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the movement of liquids and gases, including the forces and energy involved in this movement. It is a branch of physics that is used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems.

How is heat transfer related to fluid dynamics?

Heat transfer and fluid dynamics are closely related, as heat transfer often occurs through the movement of fluids. For example, convection is a form of heat transfer that involves the movement of hot fluids, such as air or water, to transfer heat to cooler objects.

What are some real-world applications of heat transfer and fluid dynamics?

Heat transfer and fluid dynamics have numerous practical applications, including designing heating and cooling systems, understanding weather patterns, and optimizing the performance of engines and turbines.

What are the laws that govern heat transfer and fluid dynamics?

There are several laws and principles that govern heat transfer and fluid dynamics, including the laws of thermodynamics, Newton's laws of motion, and the Bernoulli's principle. These laws help explain the behavior of heat and fluid flow in different systems.