What Are Some Top Graduate Schools for EE/CS and Theoretical Neuroscience?

In summary, the person is a year away from getting their BS in Electrical Engineering and is looking for recommendations for graduate school. Their main interest is in theoretical neuroscience and cognitive modeling, but they have decided to get their MS in EE or CS with a focus on artificial intelligence/brain modeling. They are looking for a school with a strong EE/CS program and prominent research in theoretical neuroscience, and are open to options outside of the US. Some suggested schools are University of California San Diego, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Carnegie Mellon University.
aFk-Al
Hello all,

I'm currently a year away from getting my BS in Electrical Engineering, and I need some recommendations for graduate school. My main interest is in theoretical neuroscience, and cognitive (brain) modeling. Unfortunately, however, there is little money out there for AI. As such, I've decided to get my MS in EE or CS, while doing research (and possibly my thesis) on artificial intelligence/brain modeling.

I'm looking for a school with a decent EE/CS program, but that also has a good med school and is doing prominent research in theoretical neuroscience. I know this narrows my options quite a bit, and I'm having a hard time finding any schools. I am not limited to the states, so European (English speaking, preferably) options are welcome.

Thanks for the help!

-Dylan

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to consider looking into University of California San Diego, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Carnegie Mellon University. All of these universities have excellent programs in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and Neuroscience. Additionally, they also have great programs for Artificial Intelligence research. Moreover, many of these schools have joint programs in Engineering and Neuroscience so that you can specialize in both areas. Good luck with your search!

Related to What Are Some Top Graduate Schools for EE/CS and Theoretical Neuroscience?

1. What are the top EE/CS/Med grad schools?

The top EE/CS/Med grad schools vary depending on rankings and personal preferences. Some of the most highly ranked schools include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California - Berkeley, and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a good EE/CS/Med grad school?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a grad school include the program's curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, location, and reputation. It is also important to consider the cost and financial aid options.

3. How competitive are admissions for EE/CS/Med grad schools?

Admissions for EE/CS/Med grad schools are highly competitive. The top schools often have low acceptance rates and require strong academic backgrounds, research experience, and impressive letters of recommendation.

4. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a good EE/CS/Med grad school?

To improve your chances of getting into a good grad school, you should focus on maintaining a strong GPA, gaining research experience, and obtaining excellent letters of recommendation. It is also important to stand out through extracurricular activities and relevant work experience.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid options available for grad school?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for grad school. Many schools offer funding packages to their students, and there are also external scholarships and grants specifically for graduate students. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities to help with the cost of grad school.