What are p and q in relation to the given plane and vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating p and q, where p is parallel to a given plane and q is perpendicular to the same plane. The solution involves finding the dot product between p and q, setting it to zero, and using the equation of the plane to find the components of the normal vector. This is then used to find the projection of c onto the normal vector, with the remaining components of c being the projection onto the perpendicular vector. The final solution involves solving for the scalar multiple, a, and plugging it back into the equation for p and q.
joshwoods

Homework Statement

c = 10i+2j-3k = p + q

Calculate p and q where the vector p is parallel and q is perpendicular to the following plane:

2x+3y-z=4

Homework Equations

a[itex]\bullet[/itex]b= axbx+ayby+azbz

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that because p is perpendicular to q the dot product between these two vectors should be zero. Also a vector parallel to the plane above is one which satisfies to equation of the plane and any vector perpendicular to the plane is a scalar multiple of the vector:

2x+3y-z

Physics news on Phys.org
Good- though i would not write the vector as "2x+3y-z". You have already used x, y, and z as variables in the equation of the plane so it would better to use, say, i, j, and k as the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions. That is, 2i+ 3j- k. Since 10i+2j-3k = p + q= p+ 2ai+ 3aj- ak, you can write p= (10- 2a)i+ (2- 3a)j+ (-1+ a)k. And, of course, because they are perpendicular, the dot product of p and q is 0: (10- 2a)(10)+ (2- 3a)(2)+ (-1+ a)(-1)= 0.

Solve that equation for a.

Hello,

Thanks for your help, I am still a little confused with the solution, when I solve for p I get:

p = (10-2a)i+(2-3a)j+(-3+a)k

but I am also confused about the dot product, should it not be:

q = 2ai+3aj-ak

pdotq = (10-2a)i(2a)i + (2-3a)j(3a)j + (-3+a)k(-a)k

This is what I get when I solve is out but my final answer still does not make sense. I must be making a small error at some point. It would be really great if you could help me out.

joshwoods said:

Homework Statement

c = 10i+2j-3k = p + q

Calculate p and q where the vector p is parallel and q is perpendicular to the following plane:

2x+3y-z=4

Homework Equations

a[itex]\bullet[/itex]b= axbx+ayby+azbz

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that because p is perpendicular to q the dot product between these two vectors should be zero. Also a vector parallel to the plane above is one which satisfies to equation of the plane and any vector perpendicular to the plane is a scalar multiple of the vector:

2x+3y-z

A vector lying in the plane does not satisfy the equation of the plane. The equation of the plane means that the difference between two vectors of the plane r and ro is perpendicular to the normal of the plane: (r-ro)n=0 which leads to the equation ax+bx+cz=C, where a,b,c, are the components of the normal and C is the dot product of ro with the normal vector.

The normal vector of the plane 2x+3y-z=4 is n=(2,3,-1), a vector, perpendicular to the plane. The vector c then is the sum of a vector, parallel to n and an other, perpendicular to n. You certainly know how to get the projection of a vector to a certain direction?

ehild

Related to What are p and q in relation to the given plane and vector?

1. What is a vector and how is it represented?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, whereas a scalar only has magnitude. Vectors can be added and subtracted, while scalars can only be multiplied or divided.

4. How do you determine if two vectors are parallel or perpendicular?

Two vectors are parallel if they have the same or opposite direction. Two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is equal to 0.

5. What is a plane and how is it represented?

A plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is represented by a Cartesian equation in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients and D is the constant.