Was the mass of the Higgs given at 125.8?

In summary, the particle physics group at CERN has made multiple updates to the mass of the Higgs boson, with the current best estimates being 125.2 GeV from ATLAS and 125.7 GeV from CMS. These updates are due to a refined analysis and a better understanding of systematic errors.
QuantumSkippy
Hi Everyone.

In the Resonaances blog, I recall that it was mentioned there that the particle physics group at CERN had made an updated statement of the mass of the Higgs as being 125.8.

When I look at the Resonaances blog I cannot find reference to this statement and they are only now talking about 125 GeV. Wikipedia does not help much as it simply gives the results of the Atlas and CMS experiments.

There must have been a good reason for the update of the mass being stated at some stage or other to be 125.8.

Could someone please enlighten me.

Best wishes, Quantum Skippy

Physics news on Phys.org
As we collect more data, or (since we aren't collecting data at the moment) understand systematic errors better, we can get a more accurate measurement of the mass. So 125 GeV is just a less precise number than 125.8 GeV.

There were approximately 6 months of data taken after the official Higgs discovery.

As far as I know, there are no specific reasons for the change, other than a refined analysis. To count all the ways the analysis has changed would be very difficult, but presumably they are still publishing and you can read about the updates.

Mass measurements at proton-proton colliders are tricky. It is easy to get a rough estimate (like "about 125 GeV"), but it takes more time to get a more precise value. Therefore, there were multiple updates after the initial discovery, where the uncertainty went down slowly.
As far as I know, the current best estimates are ##125.2\pm 0.3 \pm 0.6## GeV from ATLAS and ##125.7 \pm 0.3 \pm 0.3## GeV from CMS. The first uncertainty value is statistical (it will go down with more data), the second is systematic (it will require more work, and a better understanding of the detector to go down).

Related to Was the mass of the Higgs given at 125.8?

What is the mass of the Higgs boson?

The mass of the Higgs boson was first measured at 125.8 GeV (gigaelectronvolts) by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) experiments at CERN in 2012.

Why is the mass of the Higgs boson important?

The mass of the Higgs boson is important because it is a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics and helps explain how particles acquire mass. It also provides evidence for the existence of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass.

How was the mass of the Higgs boson determined?

The mass of the Higgs boson was determined through the process of colliding protons at high energies in the Large Hadron Collider. The collisions produced a large amount of data which was analyzed by scientists to identify the signature of the Higgs boson and its mass.

Has the mass of the Higgs boson been confirmed?

Yes, the mass of the Higgs boson has been confirmed by multiple experiments at the LHC, including ATLAS and CMS. The measurements have been consistent and precise, providing strong evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson at 125.8 GeV.

Could the mass of the Higgs boson change in the future?

It is possible that the mass of the Higgs boson could change in the future as more data is collected and analyzed. The LHC is currently undergoing upgrades to increase its collision energy, which may lead to more precise measurements of the Higgs boson's mass. Additionally, further research and discoveries in the field of particle physics may also provide new insights into the mass of the Higgs boson.