Volume of water rainfall problem

In summary, 1.57828283 × 10^-5 cubic miles would be the volume of water covering a 640 acre area after 1 inch of rainfall.
theshark1019
what would the volume of water covering a 640 acre area be after 1 inch of rainfall?

Physics news on Phys.org
theshark1019 said:
what would the volume of water covering a 640 acre area be after 1 inch of rainfall?

640 acre-inches?

Surely it takes more time to write the post and wait for a response than to just figure it out on your own...

Or are you doing your homework during commercials? :rolleyes:

You know, this isn't hard math, unless you're in second grade or something. Actually, second graders probably can do this now. Anyway, the answer is 1.57828283 × 10^-5 cubic miles.

Last edited:
SkepticJ said:
You know, this isn't hard math, unless you're in second grade or something. Actually, second graders probably can do this now. Anyway, the answer is 1.57828283 × 10^-5 cubic miles.

spoon-feeder.

or, maybe, if it's numerically incorrect (i didn't check), spoon-feeding a wrong numerical answer is the best medicine.

Last edited:
rbj said:
spoon-feeder.

or, maybe, if it's numerically incorrect (i didn't check), spoon-feeding a wrong numerical answer is the best medicine.

Sorry.:redface:

No, it's correct. I thought about giving him/her the wrong answer, but didn't. I've gone back and edited it to only leave the figure in cubic miles. That way I'm neither lying nor giving them an answer that won't raise an eyebrow with the teacher.

ETA, oh, blast, you've got my original post quoted, so my devious plan won't work.

Last edited:
SkepticJ said:
ETA, oh, blast, you've got my original post quoted, so my devious plan won't work.
They're hardly SI though :biggrin:

Zero, it all soaked into the ground, or flowed away.

rbj said:
640 acre-inches?
You know, that's valid!:rolleyes:
but convert acres into square meters and inches into meters first, then combine thiem to find cubic meters. (Divide that by 1000 to get liters).

J77 said:
They're hardly SI though :biggrin:

Well, acres and inches aren't SI, hectares and centimeters are. He/she said acres and inches in the OP.

theshark1019 said:
Hmm, now that would depend on the permeability of the soil. :wink:

Also upon the terrain. Unless it's walled in, the water won't be confined to the initial saturation area.

SkepticJ said:
...hectares and centimeters are.
No they're not.

They can only be given, exactly in terms of an SI unit.

SkepticJ said:
Well, acres and inches aren't SI, hectares and centimeters are. He/she said acres and inches in the OP.
Acre-feet is a common term for large amounts of water, usually behind a dam. So if 1 inch water fell into a 640 acre water tight basin, you'd have 53 1/3 (640/12) acre-feet, or 2323209.6 (53.3333... x 43560.18) ft^3 of water.

What's that in duman-furlongs?

Related to Volume of water rainfall problem

1. What is the volume of water that falls in a typical rainfall?

The volume of water that falls in a typical rainfall can vary greatly depending on the location and intensity of the rainfall. On average, a moderate rainfall of 1 inch can produce up to 27,154 gallons of water per acre. However, this can range from 5,000 to 30,000 gallons per acre.

2. How is the volume of water from rainfall measured?

The volume of water from rainfall is typically measured using a rain gauge, which is a cylindrical container that collects precipitation. The collected water is then measured in either inches or millimeters, and this measurement is used to calculate the volume of water per unit area.

3. What factors can affect the volume of water from rainfall?

The volume of water from rainfall can be affected by various factors such as the duration and intensity of the rainfall, the topography and slope of the land, and the type of soil and vegetation present. Climate change can also impact the volume of water from rainfall by altering the patterns and amount of precipitation.

4. How does the volume of water from rainfall impact the environment?

The volume of water from rainfall plays a crucial role in the environment. It helps replenish groundwater and surface water sources, which are essential for plant and animal life. Excessive rainfall can also cause flooding, which can have damaging effects on ecosystems and communities.

5. How can the volume of water from rainfall be managed?

The volume of water from rainfall can be managed through various methods such as building infrastructure to divert excess water, implementing sustainable land management practices to improve water infiltration and reduce runoff, and creating green spaces to absorb and filter rainwater. Climate change adaptation strategies are also being developed to mitigate the impacts of extreme rainfall events.