Voltate, Resistance of open circuit

However, in this circuit, point A and B are disconnected, creating an open circuit, so there is no current flowing through the resistor and thus no voltage drop. In summary, the open circuit shown in the figure does not allow for a current to flow through the resistor, resulting in no voltage drop across it. This is why the resistance does not affect the voltage value.
yuno96
There is a open circuit like below figure

A---------R(10ohm)--------V(10V)-------------B

The Voltage between A and B is 10V. The resister do not affect in this circuit. This is what I have learned.

But I do not understand why the resistance do not affect to the voltage value. Please explain the reason in detail.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Before you can get a voltage drop across a resistance (R), you need to have a current (I) through the resistor. I.e. from ohms law, V=IR. So you would need to connect point A to B in order to get a current through the loop.

Related to Voltate, Resistance of open circuit

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is commonly measured in volts (V).

2. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current in an electrical circuit. It is commonly measured in ohms (Ω).

3. What is an open circuit?

An open circuit is a circuit that is not complete, meaning there is a break in the path of electricity flow. This can be caused by an open switch, a broken wire, or a disconnected component.

4. How does resistance affect an open circuit?

In an open circuit, resistance prevents the flow of electric current. If the resistance is too high, it can completely block the flow of electricity and the circuit will not work.

5. How does voltage affect an open circuit?

Voltage is necessary to create a flow of electric current in a circuit. In an open circuit, if the voltage is too low, it may not be enough to overcome the resistance and the circuit will not work. However, if the voltage is too high, it can cause damage to the circuit or components.