Verification Of Stoke's Theorem

• Thread starter Baumer8993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation involved verifying Stoke's Theorem by computing both the Stoke's theorem and work integral for a given vector field and surface. The resulting curl and normal vector were given, and the integrals were calculated to be 33.51 and 12.5, respectively. The person speaking is unsure of which answer is correct and is looking for guidance on how to proceed.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

Verify Stoke's Theorem by computing both integrals: (stoke's theorem, and the original work integral).
σ is the portion of z = sqrt(4-x2-y2) above the xy-plane and the vector field is F = <2x-y, y*z2, y2z>

Homework Equations

stoke's theorem, and work integral

The Attempt at a Solution

When I do stoke's theorem I get <0,0,1> for my curl F. My normal vector is <2x, 2y, 2z>. After I do the two, and do the integral I get 33.51 for my answer.

My work integral I have <2cos(t), 2sin(t)> for my parametrization path. However, when I do the integral I get 12.5. I am not sure which one is right since I have tried the problem three times, but I always get the same answer, so I do not know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Baumer8993 said:

Homework Statement

Verify Stoke's Theorem by computing both integrals: (stoke's theorem, and the original work integral).
σ is the portion of z = sqrt(4-x2-y2) above the xy-plane and the vector field is F = <2x-y, y*z2, y2z>

Homework Equations

stoke's theorem, and work integral

The Attempt at a Solution

When I do stoke's theorem I get <0,0,1> for my curl F. My normal vector is <2x, 2y, 2z>. After I do the two, and do the integral I get 33.51 for my answer.

My work integral I have <2cos(t), 2sin(t)> for my parametrization path. However, when I do the integral I get 12.5. I am not sure which one is right since I have tried the problem three times, but I always get the same answer, so I do not know what to do.

Do you expect us to work both sides out to see what we get? Show us what you did and we can likely quickly find your mistake.

Related to Verification Of Stoke's Theorem

1. What is Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates a line integral over a closed curve to a surface integral over the region bounded by the curve. It is named after the Irish mathematician George Gabriel Stokes.

2. How is Stoke's Theorem used in science?

Stoke's Theorem is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface by converting it to a line integral over the boundary of the surface. It is also used in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism to calculate circulation and flux values.

3. What are the assumptions of Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem assumes that the vector field is differentiable and that the surface and its boundary are smooth and oriented consistently with the right-hand rule. Additionally, the surface must be bounded by a closed curve and the region must be simply connected.

4. How is Stoke's Theorem verified?

To verify Stoke's Theorem, one must first calculate the line integral over the closed curve and then the surface integral over the region bounded by the curve. If these two values are equal, then the theorem is verified. Alternatively, one can use the divergence theorem to convert the surface integral to a volume integral and compare it to the line integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is used in a variety of applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and aerodynamics. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic fluid and smoke simulations. Additionally, it is used in geology to model the movement of tectonic plates and in meteorology to predict airflows and weather patterns.