Venturi Metter - Conceptual Question

In summary, the conversation is about a multi-piezometric tube venturi meter with a control valve. The data collected at various points along the meter is being summarized qualitatively. The notes show a slight drop in pressure as water flows through the meter, with a build-up of pressure before and after the control valve. The person is asking if their understanding is correct and if they should compare the pressure to other factors.
FutureEnginr
I am working on a lab, and *think* I understand what is going on, but looking for a double check of my logic from someone more experience than I am.

In short its a multi-piezometric tube venturi meter, with 1 throat near the begining, a couple of expansions, and a control valve near the end. We took measurements at the various tubes, and I am trying to summarize the data qualitatively.

The 9 piezometric tubes on the pipe are setup as follows: (points A - H)

A) 26mm diameter pipe (13mm in front of the constriction, 25mm long)
B) 16mm throat (16 mm long as well)
C) 26mm pipe that comes after a gradually increasing pipe diameter
D) 51mm pipe that comes after a sharper increasing pipe diameter (totall diffuser = 89mm)
E) A control valve in the 55mm pipe
F) A straight 51 mm pipe section
G) A continued straight 51 mm pipe
H) The end of the meter (still 51 mm diameter pipe, total pipe length = 130 mm)

Here is my understanding is regarding the data we took
(sorry about the formatting, but hopefully you can understand my notes):

(flows) Q (l/s) A(mm) B(mm) C(mm) D(mm) E(mm) F(mm) G(mm) H(mm) I(mm)
flow 1 .18 370mm 332mm 360mm 356mm 360mm 318mm 324mm 322mm 222mm
flow 2 .24 330mm 274mm 320mm 316mm 324mm 254mm 262mm 260mm 160mm
flow 3 .28 370mm 284mm 350mm 346mm 354mm 260mm 272mm 270mm 168mm

Here is what I think happens as water flows through the meter...

'A' p builds due to upcoming constriction
'B' v increases, p drops as water is 'sucked' along
'C' p returns to almost state 'A' (losses occur)
'D' slight drop in p as area increases slightly
'E' p builds in front of valve obstruction
'F' p drops a little after passing valve
'G' p continues to drop as near opening
'H' p still dropping
'I' at end, p as close to 0 as possible (within this system).

Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds pretty reasonable.

I am not any sort of expert in this matter, but did you try to compare the average pressures you found to the radius, cross-sectional area, or volume of the various pipe-sections to detect any relationship?

As a scientist, it is always important to double check your understanding and data interpretations. From the information provided, it seems like you have a good understanding of the setup and the data collected. Your notes on the changes in pressure at each point are correct, and it is clear that the venturi meter is causing a drop in pressure as the water flows through it. However, it is important to also consider other factors such as the velocity of the water and the changes in pipe diameter. It would be helpful to also include these factors in your analysis to get a more complete understanding of what is happening in the system. Additionally, it would be helpful to compare your data to theoretical calculations or previous studies on similar venturi meters to validate your findings. Overall, it seems like you have a good grasp on the concept and your analysis is on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Related to Venturi Metter - Conceptual Question

1. What is a Venturi Meter?

A Venturi Meter is a device used to measure the flow rate of a fluid in a closed system. It consists of a converging inlet, a throat, and a diverging outlet. As the fluid flows through the constriction at the throat, its velocity increases and its pressure decreases, allowing for accurate measurement.

2. How does a Venturi Meter work?

A Venturi Meter works on the principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid in a closed system remains constant. As the fluid flows through the constriction at the throat, its velocity increases, causing a decrease in pressure. The pressure difference between the inlet and the throat is then measured and used to calculate the flow rate.

3. What are the advantages of using a Venturi Meter?

Venturi Meters are highly accurate and can measure a wide range of flow rates. They also have no moving parts, making them reliable and low maintenance. Additionally, they can be used for both liquids and gases, making them versatile in various industries.

4. What are the limitations of a Venturi Meter?

One limitation of a Venturi Meter is that it can only measure the flow rate of a single fluid at a time. It also requires a certain minimum velocity to function properly. Additionally, the installation of a Venturi Meter can be more complex and costly compared to other flow measurement devices.

5. How is a Venturi Meter calibrated?

A Venturi Meter is typically calibrated by comparing its measurements to a known flow rate. This can be achieved by using a reference standard or a secondary standard device. The calibration process involves adjusting the pressure difference measurements to match the known flow rate, ensuring accurate readings in future use.