Vendor for Flint Glass Block or Prism

In summary, The conversation is about locating a supplier of flint glass for a lab demonstration of the Faraday Effect. The original source found, Mansion Schools, is not shipping until May 8. Another potential source, Esco Optics, may not have the correct shape of glass. Other options suggested were Surplus Shed and contacting Schott directly.
Dan LaSota
Hi,

I'm trying to put together materials to demonstrate the Faraday Effect. I need to locate the supplier of some flint glass (glass with lead oxide or similar materials increasing the Verdet constant), that I could use in my lab. I had found this from Mansion Schools: http://www.mansionschools.com/prisms-science-laboratory-flint-glass-block-for-faraday-effect-br-u8474060-light-and-optics.html

but they are not shipping until May 8 for some reason. Does anyone have another source?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I will give them a call tomorrow, but I don't think they have what I need. The page you linked to has a series of achromatic lenses, some made with flint glass, but they are not the correct shape. I'm looking for either a block or rod of glass at least 25mm in length.

Related to Vendor for Flint Glass Block or Prism

1. How do I find a reliable vendor for flint glass block or prism?

The best way to find a reliable vendor for flint glass block or prism is to do thorough research. Look for companies that have a good reputation and positive customer reviews. You can also ask for recommendations from other scientists in your field.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a vendor for flint glass block or prism?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a vendor for flint glass block or prism include their pricing, quality of products, delivery times, and customer service. You should also make sure that the vendor has experience working with scientific equipment and materials.

3. Can I request custom-made flint glass block or prism from a vendor?

Yes, many vendors offer custom-made flint glass block or prism based on your specific requirements. However, this may come at an additional cost and may take longer to deliver. Make sure to communicate your needs clearly to the vendor.

4. How can I ensure the quality of the flint glass block or prism from a vendor?

You can ensure the quality of the flint glass block or prism from a vendor by asking for samples or certifications. Reputable vendors will be able to provide you with these documents to prove the quality of their products. You can also do your own testing and compare the results with the specifications provided by the vendor.

5. What should I do if I have issues with the flint glass block or prism from a vendor?

If you encounter any issues with the flint glass block or prism from a vendor, it is important to communicate with them immediately. Most vendors have a customer service team that can assist you with any problems. If the issue cannot be resolved, you may need to consider finding a new vendor for your future needs.