Velocity of a rocket in the earth moon system

In summary, a programmer has finished writing a python program that calculates the position of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system. The rocket starts in circular orbit around the Earth and is given a velocity boost to travel to the Moon. The programmer started all bodies on the x-axis with the Earth on the left and the Moon on the right, and the rocket travels anti-clockwise. The initial velocity of the rocket was determined using the formula v=sqrt(G*mass of Earth/radius of rocket), but there is a question of whether the Earth's angular velocity should be added or taken away from this initial velocity and if the Moon affects the initial velocity. The Earth's rotation is helpful during launch but does not affect the circular velocity formula once the
s_gunn
Hi all! I've just finished writing a program in python that determines the position of a rocket in the Earth moon system. Initially it is in circular orbit around the Earth and then it is given a velocity boost at some point in it's orbit to make it travel to the moon.

I started all 3 bodies on the x-axis with the Earth at the left of the system's centre of mass (COM) and the moon at the right. the rocket is between the Earth and moon and therefore lies to the right of the COM and all travel anti-clockwise.

I devised the initial velocity of the rocket using v=sqrt(G*mass of earth/radius of rocket) but it's just occurred to me that it maybe should have been adjusted slightly as the Earth has a small rotation in the same direction as the rocket around the system's COM.

Should the Earth's angular velocity be added (or taken away) from the initial velocity of the rocket in orbit? and does the moon affect the initial velocity?

It's been puzzling me all day so any comments would be appreciated!
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth's rotation helped you when you launched your rocket. It gave you a head start. But once in orbit, your circular velocity formula is not affected by the Earth's rotation. The Moon is a small perturbation to your rocket in low-earth orbit, but not very significant. You can safely ignore it. That's because the Moon pulls the Earth with about the same strength it pulls your rocket, so the effect is negated.

I can't get it into my head why it wouldn't affect the rocket's orbital velocity as the path of the orbit can't be circular around the earth-moon system's centre of mass with the COM being about 3/4 way to the edge of the Earth's radius! Surely, the rocket must spiral slightly around the path of the Earth's orbit?

When my uni demonstrator looked at my code, he added in a negative term of 2*pi*Earth-COM distance/Time Period of the Earth to my velocity and never explained why. I was hoping I'd come up with a reason but I also thought that it should have been a positive contribution! I also have a friend who did the same project but he added a contribution from the angular velocity from the moon which i couldn't determine a reason for either.

Any ideas?

What's your initial CoM velocity for the rocket?

If rocket starts in Earth orbit, the Moon provides only minor perturbation. It can be ignored.

Maybe you can post the code? I could tell a lot more from that than from your explanation of what it is supposed to do.

i had to convert it from python to a word doc so i hope the indents are still intact! I'm also relatively new to programming so forgive my messy set-up, the code wasn't marked just the report we've written on it so I didn't try making it 'pretty'!

I hope you can make sense of it!

Attachments

• final code.doc
    11.4 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Your spaceship in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) is not orbiting the COM of the Earth/Moon system, as it is orbiting interior to the Moon's orbit. It is orbiting the Earth only with minor perturbations from the Moon.

Related to Velocity of a rocket in the earth moon system

What is the velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system?

The velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system depends on various factors such as the rocket's initial velocity, its mass, and the gravitational pull of both the Earth and the Moon. It can range from 11 km/s to 16 km/s.

How is the velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system calculated?

The velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system is calculated using the formula v = √(GM(2/r - 1/a)) where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, r is the distance between the Earth and the rocket, and a is the distance between the rocket and the Moon.

Does the velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system change during its journey?

Yes, the velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system changes during its journey due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of different celestial bodies, the amount of fuel burned, and changes in direction.

How does the velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system affect its trajectory?

The velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system plays a crucial role in determining its trajectory. If the velocity is too low, the rocket may not be able to escape Earth's gravitational pull and will fall back to the surface. If the velocity is too high, the rocket may escape the Moon's gravitational pull and continue on a path into space.

Can the velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system be increased or decreased?

Yes, the velocity of a rocket in the Earth-Moon system can be increased or decreased by adjusting the thrust of the rocket engines. This can be done by burning more or less fuel, or by changing the direction of the rocket's thrust. The velocity can also be affected by utilizing gravitational assists from other celestial bodies.