Velocity, distance, time problem

In summary, the runner of mass 58.1 kg starts from rest and accelerates with a constant acceleration of 0.87 m/s2 until he reaches a velocity of 5.90 m/s. He then continues running with this constant velocity. To find the time it takes for the runner to run 193 m, the equation v=v(initial) + at can be used to find the time for the accelerating part. Then, using the equation s1 = 0.5a*t1^2, the length of the accelerating part can be found. Subtracting this from the total distance gives the length of the part with constant velocity, which can be used to find the time t2 = s2 / v. The
hbomb
A runner of mass 58.1 kg starts from rest and accelerates with a constant acceleration of 0.87 m/s2 until he reaches a velocity of 5.90 m/s. He then continues running with this constant velocity.

How long does the runner take to run 193 m?

I already know mass has no relation to what I'm suppose to find here. What I first did was use v=v(initial) + at to find the time it takes to get up to 5.90 m/s. Then I found the distance covered during this time. I then used x=x(initial) + vt and solved for t to find the rest of the time from when the runner started to run 5.90 m/s up to the end of his 193 m run. Then I add the both times together. I get 32.71 s, but the answer is not correct. This is one of those online questions. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you can easily get the time t1 for the first (the accelerating) part as t1 = v / a. Further on, to get the length of the first part, use the equation s1 = 0.5a*t1^2. Then, you have 173 - s1 = s2, which is the length of the part the runner runs with constant velocity. So, you can easily get t2 = s2 / v. So, the total time equals t = t1 + t2. The answer I got was around 36, I hope that is correct.

Homework questions need to be posted in the Homework Forums, not in the General Forums.

Having said that, I get more like around 36 seconds. Is that closer to the correct answer? Post all of your work, including the intermediate results, and we can look for errors. It sounds like you are using the correct approach.

Related to Velocity, distance, time problem

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for velocity is velocity = distance / time.

2. How do you find the distance traveled given the velocity and time?

To find the distance traveled, you can use the formula distance = velocity * time.

3. What units are used for velocity, distance, and time?

Velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s), distance is measured in meters (m), and time is measured in seconds (s).

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. This indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction or has a negative acceleration.

5. How can you use velocity, distance, and time to solve a problem?

First, identify which variables are given and which variable you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate formula to solve for the unknown variable. Make sure to convert all units to the same measurement before plugging them into the formula.