Vectors and coordinate transformations

In summary: Thanks for the response. I actually do use a LaTeX editor, it's just that I'm not familiar with other text editors. I will look into getting a standalone LaTeX editor. In summary, LaTeX is a scripting language that is used to prepare and submit physics and math journal articles. It is a complete document preparation system and is used by the Physical Review to prepare and submit articles.
rockyshephear
Can anyone explain why it's important to be able to take vectors in an x,y,z coordinate system and be able to transform them into other coordinate systems. Could not all vector considerations be grappled with in the standard x,y,z coordinate systems? How important is this ability to physicists and mathematicians wrt to how often this is done? All the time, occassionally, hardly ever?

Physics news on Phys.org
A coordinate system is usually chosen because it matches some symmetry of the system that you want to analyze and so the math becomes simpler in that coordinate system. Most important problems are halfway solved once you figure out how to write the equations in the right coordinate system.

Can you give a minimal example of the choice of a cs to match the symmetry of a system?
Thx

Sure, if you want to calculate the stress in a set of turbine blades (or even just a spinning disk) you would probably want to use cylindrical coordinates. If you want to calculate the fields from a dipole antenna you would probably use spherical coordinates. Etc.

Spherical/rotational symmetry appears EVERYWHERE in physics. I'm having a hard time coming up with examples that don't have spherical symmetry. Spherical coordinates are so very important for this reason.

Thanks. Can you reference an actual problem so I can see how it's done. On the web possibly? Or a textbook?

Spherical coordinates are very important

Yet I could define a sphere easily in (I guess what you call R^3 space, x,y,z coordinates. I guess it would be more difficult though now that I think about it.

rockyshephear said:
Spherical coordinates are very important

Yet I could define a sphere easily in (I guess what you call R^3 space, x,y,z coordinates. I guess it would be more difficult though now that I think about it.

[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=1[/tex] is a sphere of radius 1. In spherical coordinates it becomes [tex]\rho ^2 =1[/tex]. Don't know if this helps or I misunderstood you.

Example: use the Maxwell equation [itex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/itex] to find the Electric field everywhere inside a sphere of uniform charge density [itex]\rho [/itex].

Notice that there is a spherical symmetry in this problem. Therefore we know that [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex] will be entirely in the radial direction and depend on only the radial coordinate. Voila! We have already turned a 3 dimensional problem into a 1 dimensional problem simply by considering rotational symmetry. Now we apply the Maxwell equation using the divergence in spherical coordinates (see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html)

This gives
[tex]
\frac{d}{dr} E + \frac{2}{r}E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}.
[/tex]

The solution to this ODE, with the condition that E(r=0) = 0, is
[tex]
E(r) = \frac{\rho r}{3 \epsilon_0}[/tex]

Now try doing the same thing in Cartesian coordinates. It would be excruciating!

I get it! Thanks.

Hey, to get the pretty mathematical symbols do you use a scripting language, keyboard shortcuts or a software you have to download? What is it and and do I do it? Dunka

The language is called LaTeX. You can find plenty of introductions on the subject with a google search, but this one looks pretty good http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/ .

Also you can click on any equation to see the code for it. I imagine you'll be able to pick up the very basics that way.

[itex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

rockyshephear said:
[itex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/itex]

[itex ] fits stuff on one line, so that it's inline.

[tex ] lays out equations when you want them to stand alone.

Compare the use of [itex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/itex] with:
[tex] \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

/Nit-picky [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] user.

I'm not a big fan of plastics but I love LaTeX. So this forum's message boxes are LaTeX friendly. How can you tell if other text editors are as well? Is there a standalone editor you can have on your personal computer that allows this scripting? Maybe there's a LaTeX forum, sorry if this is in the wrong location.

Try Googling for "latex for windows" (or whatever your favorite operating system is). It's actually a complete document-preparation system. Equation display is only part of it. It's the standard way to prepare and submit physics and math journal articles. When you submit an article to the Physical Review, for example, you write it up in LaTeX using PR's formatting macros, and it looks exactly like it will appear in print. After they've approved your article (usually after you've made some revisions), the PR people simply drop the LaTeX file into their publishing system. It saves a lot of work for them.

And if PR doesn't accept your article, it's easy to submit it to another journal because all you have to do is substitute the other journal's formatting macros.

Related to Vectors and coordinate transformations

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

2. How are vectors represented in coordinate systems?

Vectors can be represented in coordinate systems using coordinates or components. In two-dimensional space, a vector can be represented by two coordinates (x, y) or two components (a, b). In three-dimensional space, a vector can be represented by three coordinates (x, y, z) or three components (a, b, c).

3. What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process used to change the coordinates of a point or vector from one coordinate system to another. This is often done to simplify calculations or to work with different coordinate systems.

4. What are some common coordinate systems used in science?

Some common coordinate systems used in science include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, and spherical coordinates. Other coordinate systems, such as cylindrical and ellipsoidal coordinates, are also used in specific scientific fields.

5. How do vector operations change in different coordinate systems?

Vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, remain the same in different coordinate systems. However, the components of the vectors may change depending on the coordinate system being used. Coordinate transformations can be used to convert between different coordinate systems and perform vector operations.