Vector perpendicular to only 1 vector

In summary: If you have three free variables, your solutions will be 3d (ie they could be in a space, or on a surface). In this case, there is only one solution (the one you found in the experiment).
Ruzic

Homework Statement

The vector a = [2,-5,6] is given. Determine one vector that is perpendicular to a.

Homework Equations

Cross product or dot product

The Attempt at a Solution

I messed around with the dot product by making the right side 0 because cos 0 = 90 but i don't think i can do anything with just 1 equation. For the cross product i got [-5z - 6y, 6x - 2z, 2y +5x] and idk where to take it from there.

i thought maybe subbing this into a x b = |a||b|Sin(1) so

[-5z - 6y, 6x - 2z, 2y +5x] = (√65)(√x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

but idk if there's any point in doing that

If you know how to do this please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ruzic said:

Homework Statement

The vector a = [2,-5,6] is given. Determine one vector that is perpendicular to a.

Homework Equations

Cross product or dot product

The Attempt at a Solution

I messed around with the dot product by making the right side 0 because cos 0 = 90 but i don't think i can do anything with just 1 equation.
Show us what you did. The dot product is the right way to go.

Ruzic said:
For the cross product i got [-5z - 6y, 6x - 2z, 2y +5x] and idk where to take it from there.

i thought maybe subbing this into a x b = |a||b|Sin(1) so

[-5z - 6y, 6x - 2z, 2y +5x] = (√65)(√x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

but idk if there's any point in doing that

If you know how to do this please help :)

Mark44 said:
Show us what you did. The dot product is the right way to go.

i just got 2x - 5y +6z = 0

our teacher said we can make z any number we want then solve which works for finding a normal to a plane but if i do that here everything just cancels out

Since you have one equation in three unknowns, there are two free variables. Pick values for any two variables, and then solve for the remaining variable.

The values for x, y, and z will give you a vector that is perpendicular to <2, -5, 6>.

Sometimes it helps to visualize what you are doing. Given one vector, can you find a perpendicular one?

Try this experiment. Take two pens, each will represent a vector. You are given the direction of one of them. This is pen number one, set it on the desk so it points vertically. Can you position the second pen to make it perpendicular to the first vertical one? Sure you can, lay the pen horizontally on the table. But you can rotate that pen on the table at any angle and it will still be perpendicular to the first one. There are an infinite number of solutions; your job is to find one of them.

Many possible solutions shows up in math as having too many unknowns for the number of equations you have. A previous poster stated you have one equation and three unknowns, which means you can freely choose two values and solve for the third. The number of free variables will tell you the dimensionality of your possible solutions. Two free variables means your solutions will be 2d (ie lie in a plane, just like your second pen).

Related to Vector perpendicular to only 1 vector

1. What does it mean for a vector to be perpendicular to only one vector?

When a vector is perpendicular to only one vector, it means that it is at a 90 degree angle to that vector and not any other vectors in the same plane.

2. How is the perpendicular vector calculated?

The perpendicular vector can be calculated using the cross product or dot product of the two given vectors. These mathematical operations result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

3. Can a vector be perpendicular to more than one vector?

Yes, a vector can be perpendicular to multiple vectors as long as it is at a 90 degree angle to each one. These vectors do not have to lie on the same plane.

4. What is the significance of a vector being perpendicular to only one vector?

The significance of a vector being perpendicular to only one vector is that it is unique and can be used to define a plane in three-dimensional space. This is helpful in many mathematical and scientific applications.

5. How is the direction of the perpendicular vector determined?

The direction of the perpendicular vector can be determined by using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you curl your fingers from the first vector to the second vector, your thumb will point in the direction of the perpendicular vector.