Vector calculus -line integral

In summary: Also note that if ##\mathbf{F} = \nabla f## then ##\int \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{r} = \int \nabla f \cdot d\mathbf{r} = f|_{\mathbf{r}_1}^{ \mathbf{r}_2} = f(\mathbf{r}_2) - f(\mathbf{r}_1)## which is independent of the path taken from ##\mathbf{r}_1## to ##\mathbf{r}_2##.In summary, vector calculus is used to solve problems involving line integrals, which can be used to determine work done or other
Outrageous
Vector calculus ---line integral

Homework Statement

If vector F(r)= (x^2)y i + 2yz j + 9(z^2)x k , find ∫ vector F dot vector dr between (0,0,0) and (1,2,3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I want to find work done, then I just use F dot dr in this case , in F act in the direction of r, then I will get the answer in term of x y z, then substitute x=1, y=2, z=3 to get the work done.
But for this case, it didnt say it is work done, so still have to do ∫F dot dr , ∫Fdxi+∫Fdyj+∫Fdzk , then ∫Fdxi from x=0 to x=1 by keeping y and z constant, then what should I substitute to my y and z ?

Please help.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the F here is force, then is it a conservative or non conservative force??

Are you sure you wrote everything in the problem statement? You can determine whether F is conservative or not by taking the curl of F and seeing if it vanishes.

Whether F is "conservative" or not, even whether it is a force, is unknown and irrelevant. If you knew this were a "conservative force" (in physics language- a "total differential" in mathematics) you would not have to do the line integral but here you are told to do it. The line from (0, 0, 0) to (1, 2, 3) (how original!) is given by x= t, y= 2t, z= 3t, as t goes from 0 to 1. The vector differential is [itex](\vec{i}+ 2\vec{j}+ 3\vec{k}) dt[/itex]. Take the dot product of that with [itex]x^2y \vec{i} + 2yz \vec{j}j + 9z^2x \vec{j}[/itex] and integrate.

CAF123 said:
Are you sure you wrote everything in the problem statement? You can determine whether F is conservative or not by taking the curl of F and seeing if it vanishes.

I forget to write straight line c from (0,0,0) to (1,2,3)!
then I can define x=t, y=2t, z=3t, I know how to do already, thank you.

∇ cross F ,then I get -2yi-(3z^2)j-(x^2)k, so it is non conservative force.
Why it is conservative force will vanish?

HallsofIvy said:
Whether F is "conservative" or not, even whether it is a force, is unknown and irrelevant. If you knew this were a "conservative force" (in physics language- a "total differential" in mathematics) you would not have to do the line integral but here you are told to do it. The line from (0, 0, 0) to (1, 2, 3) (how original!) is given by x= t, y= 2t, z= 3t, as t goes from 0 to 1. The vector differential is [itex](\vec{i}+ 2\vec{j}+ 3\vec{k}) dt[/itex]. Take the dot product of that with [itex]x^2y \vec{i} + 2yz \vec{j}j + 9z^2x \vec{j}[/itex] and integrate.

If the path was closed and F conservative, then they wouldn't ask to do the integral. However, the question gives no information about what path we take to (1,2,3) from O. For example, it may be a helix or it may be a straight line. In the case that F was conservative then you could take any path, however it turns out F is not conservative so that is why I wondered if something was missing from OP.

EDIT: The OP has clarified this issue in the above post.

Outrageous said:
Why is conservative force will vanish?

If F is a conservative force, we may associate a potential, that is ##\mathbf{F} = \nabla f##, where ##f## is the potential function for ##\mathbf{F}##. Now take the curl: $$\nabla \times \mathbf{F} = \nabla \times ( \nabla f ) = \mathbf{0}$$ since we have a curl-grad which is always zero.

HallsofIvy said:

Thank you. if it is conservative force, then the path of the work done will not important already, so that is why you said no need to do line integral.
can you please explain more about the total differetial in math mean? total differential of the force? normally if total differential will get what ?

CAF123 said:
If F is a conservative force, we may associate a potential, that is ##\mathbf{F} = \nabla f##, where ##f## is the potential function for ##\mathbf{F}##. Now take the curl: $$\nabla \times \mathbf{F} = \nabla \times ( \nabla f ) = \mathbf{0}$$ since we have a curl-grad which is always zero.

##\mathbf{F} = \nabla f##, where ##f## is the potential function for ##\mathbf{F}##.
F is the rate of change of the potential energy ,
then $$\nabla \times ( \nabla f ) = \mathbf{0}$$
if it equal to zero ,will prove that the F have potential function , so it is conservative force. is it??

Last edited:
Outrageous said:
##\mathbf{F} = \nabla f##, where ##f## is the potential function for ##\mathbf{F}##.
F is the rate of change of the potential energy ,
then $$\nabla \times ( \nabla f ) = \mathbf{0}$$
if it equal to zero ,will prove that the F have potential function , so it is conservative force. is it??

Yes, you can easily prove that curl-grad is always zero for general ##f##.

Related to Vector calculus -line integral

1. What is a line integral in vector calculus?

A line integral in vector calculus is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the work done by a force along a path in a vector field. It takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the vector field.

2. How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by dividing a curve into small segments and approximating the area under each segment using vectors. The sum of these approximations is then taken to find the total area under the curve.

3. What are some applications of line integrals in real life?

Line integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate work done by forces, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow. They are also useful in finding the center of mass of an object and calculating the volume of a solid.

4. What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane, while a line integral takes into account the direction and magnitude of a vector field in a three-dimensional space. Regular integrals are also calculated using a single variable, while line integrals use multiple variables.

5. How can I improve my understanding of line integrals in vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of line integrals, you can practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with different types of vector fields. It may also be helpful to review the fundamental principles of calculus and vector operations. Seeking guidance from a tutor or studying from reliable resources can also aid in improving your understanding of line integrals.