Variation of parameters (1st order)

In summary, the general solution of the given differential equation is u(t) = At + \frac{2t^3}{3} + c, where A is a constant and c is an arbitrary constant. There are multiple ways to solve this equation, including using variation of parameters and integrating factors. It is important to verify that the solution does indeed satisfy the original equation.
j3dwards

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the following equation:

u(t): u' = u/t + 2t

Homework Equations

y' + p(x)y = Q(x)....(1)

yeI = ∫ dx eIQ(x) + constant.....(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the equation to give:

u' - u/t = 2t

Then I considered the following (homogeneous):

u' - u/t = 0

1/u u' = 1/t

∫ 1/u du = ∫ 1/t dt

ln(u) = ln(t) + c

u(t) = eln(t) + c = tec = At

Let: I = ln(t)

eI = eln(t) = t

u = At

So: A(t)=u/t

dA/dt = u//t - u/t2 = A'

Using equation (2) given above, my solution to this equation was:

ut = ∫ 2t . t dt = ∫ 2t2 dt = 2t3/3 + constant

My questions are:
1. Is this correct?
2. In equation (2) there is no need for A', so why was this needed?

Thank you for taking the time to look at these, any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always check to see whether your final solution is a solution of the original differential equation yourself by replacing u with the function of t. In this case, we can see that it does not solve the original equation, assuming I read it properly.
I'm not sure as to what the symbol "l" in your method entails, as I may have learned a different method of variation of parameters. In the method that I learned, the homogeneous solution [itex]u_h(t) = At[/itex] is used to find a particular solution of the form [itex]u_p(t) = p(t)t[/itex], where p(t) is an unknown function of t that we must solve for (the constant "parameter" in the homogeneous solution is replaced by the "variable parameter" p(t)). To find it, we substitute this particular solution into the original differential equation and equate coefficients of like terms. In this case, we get
[tex]p'(t)t + p(t) = p(t) + 2t[/tex]
which simplifies to [itex]p'(t) = 2[/itex]. We may then integrate p'(t) to get p(t), and write the general solution as the sum of the homogeneous and particular solutions. You can then verify that the general solution does solve the original equation.

As an aside, we may also solve this differential equation using a standard integrating factor for first order linear differential equations. If we multiply both sides of the equation
[tex]u' - \frac{1}{t}u = 2t[/tex]
by the integrating factor derived from the coefficient of u,
[tex]e^{\int -\frac{1}{t}\, dt} = \frac{1}{t}[/tex]
we get
[tex]\frac{u'}{t} - \frac{u}{t^2} = 2[/tex]
The left side is the derivative with respect to t of [itex]\frac{u}{t}[/itex], as you should verify. Integrating both sides, we get the same family of solutions.

Related to Variation of parameters (1st order)

What is variation of parameters (1st order)?

Variation of parameters is a method used to solve first-order differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution to the equation by varying the parameters of the general solution.

When is variation of parameters used?

Variation of parameters is used when the coefficients of the differential equation are not constant or when the method of undetermined coefficients cannot be applied.

What are the steps involved in using variation of parameters?

The first step is to find the general solution to the homogeneous equation. Then, the parameters are varied and substituted into the original equation to form a system of equations. The solution to this system of equations gives the particular solution to the original equation.

What is the advantage of using variation of parameters over other methods?

Variation of parameters allows for the flexibility of finding a particular solution without making any assumptions about the form of the solution. It also works for equations with non-constant coefficients, which other methods may not be able to handle.

Are there any limitations to using variation of parameters?

Yes, variation of parameters can only be used for first-order differential equations. It also requires a known general solution to the homogeneous equation, which may not always be easy to find. Additionally, the method can become complicated for higher-order equations.