Validity of Mathematical Proof of Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the author of the PDE textbook mentioned a proof of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle that goes as follows:Note that \left| \int xf(x) f'(x) \right| \le \left[ \int |xf(x)|^2 dx \right]^{1/2} \left[ \int |f'(x)|^2 dx \right]^{1/2} , by the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality. Now, the Fourier transform of df/dx is ipF(p), so along with Parseval's Equality, the right side
phreak
I saw a rather easy proof of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle in a PDE textbook the other day, but I'm not sure if it's correct. The proof goes as following:

Note that [tex] \left| \int xf(x) f'(x) \right| \le \left[ \int |xf(x)|^2 dx \right]^{1/2} \left[ \int |f'(x)|^2 dx \right]^{1/2} [/tex], by the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality. Now, the Fourier transform of df/dx is ipF(p), so along with Parseval's Equality, the right side of the above equation equals:

[tex]\overline{x} \cdot \left[ \int |ipF(p)|^2 \frac{dp}{2\pi} \right]^{1/2} = \overline{x} \cdot \overline{p}. [/tex]

Integrating the left side by parts, we then get that it is 1/2, so that [tex]\overline{x} \cdot \overline{p} \ge 1/2[/tex].

Now, here is my problem with this proof. I don't understand why [tex]\int |ip F(p)|^2 \frac{dp}{2\pi} = \overline{p}^2[/tex]. Using Parseval's equality, this would be fine if the Fourier transform of xf(x) is kF(k), but as far as I know this isn't true. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
phreak said:
I don't understand why [tex]\int |ip F(p)|^2 \frac{dp}{2\pi} = \overline{p}^2[/tex].

Whatever the observable O, if [itex]\psi(o)[/itex] is the wave function in the representation defined by O (that means, [itex]\psi(o)[/itex] is the amplitude of O having the value o), and whatever the function f(o), the expectation value of f(o) is

[tex]\int f(o)|\psi(o)|^2 do = \overline{f(o)}[/tex]

Apply this to o=p and f(o)=o2.

can anybody here please suggest me a book for quantum mechanics.(i'm good at math)

@phreak
can please give the name of the book you reffered.

Thank you for your comments.

Josyulasharma: The book this is from is 'Partial Differential Equations' by Walter Strauss.

Josyulasharma said:
can anybody here please suggest me a book for quantum mechanics.(i'm good at math)

i) don't ask unrelated questions to the thread, i.e don't get off topic.

ii) We have science book sub forum here, look around an you'll find it.

iii) when you do find it, please search for old threads, this question has been asked 100000 times before,

Related to Validity of Mathematical Proof of Uncertainty Principle

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that there is a limit to the precision with which certain complementary physical properties can be measured.

2. How was the Uncertainty Principle derived?

The Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. He derived it through a series of thought experiments involving the measurement of position and momentum in quantum systems, and found that there was a fundamental limit to the precision of these measurements.

3. Is the Mathematical Proof of the Uncertainty Principle valid?

Yes, the mathematical proof of the Uncertainty Principle is widely accepted and has been confirmed through numerous experiments. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. How does the Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle challenges our classical, deterministic understanding of the physical world and shows that there are inherent limitations to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as lasers and transistors.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Uncertainty Principle?

While the Uncertainty Principle holds true for most quantum systems, there are some exceptions. For example, in certain scenarios involving entangled particles, it is possible to know the exact values of both position and momentum. However, these exceptions do not invalidate the principle as a whole.